Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Nicole Wootton-Cane

X agrees to crack down on terror content in UK after antisemitic attacks

X has agreed on a series of measures to crack down on terrorist content and illegal hate speech in the UK following a string of antisemitic attacks.

Elon Musk’s social media platform will block access to accounts linked to proscribed terrorist groups in the UK and has committed to take down illegal hate and terror content within 24 hours, according to an update from regulator Ofcom.

It said it has evidence of harmful and illegal content linked to terrorism on the UK’s largest social media platforms, and that it expects technology companies to take “firm action”.

Oliver Griffiths, Ofcom’s Online Safety Group Director, said the commitments are “particularly important” following a series of incidents targeting the Jewish community in the UK. Last month, two British Jews were stabbed in an attack in Golders Green, and in March a suspected arson attack allegedly targeted Jewish community ambulances in north-west London.

The commitments mean the platform will now submit performance data to Ofcom on a quarterly basis over a 12-month period, which will be reviewed against online safety targets.

“Following intensive engagement carried out by Ofcom’s online safety team, X have committed to implementing stronger protections for UK users, which we will now monitor closely,” Mr Griffiths said in a statement on Friday.

“We have evidence that terrorist content and illegal hate speech is persisting on some of the largest social media sites. We are challenging them to tackle the problem and expect them to take firm action. This is of particular importance in the UK following a number of recent hate motivated crimes suffered by the country’s Jewish community.”

He added the commitments are a “step forward” but that there is “a lot more to do”. Mr Griffiths also confirmed Ofcom’s investigation into Mr Musk’s AI tool Grok remains ongoing amid claims women and girls were digitally stripped without their consent.

Danny Stone, chief executive of the Antisemitism Policy Trust, said he “welcomes” the action from Ofcom, calling it a “good start” but adding there is “a lot more to do”.

“There will be a lot more to do, though. X is failing in so many regards to tackle open racism on its platform,” he continued. “We know where this online harm leads, and so for the sake and safety of all of us in Britain, I hope Ofcom will hold X to account for what it has promised the regulator it will do.”

X has been contacted for comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.