Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Benzinga
Benzinga
Business
Snigdha Gairola

Iran Parliament Speaker Mocks Bessent and Hegseth, Says Both Are 'Way Out of Their League': Stop Waiting for 'Clown Crew' to Pull a Rabbit Out of Their Hat'

January,16,,2025,-,Washington,Dc:,The,Senate,Finance,Committee

Iran’s parliament speaker dismissed the Trump administration’s escalating military and economic pressure, arguing that efforts to force Tehran back to negotiations have failed.

Qalibaf Slams Bessent, Hegseth

On Tuesday, in a post on X, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf criticized Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over the U.S. campaign against Tehran.

Qalibaf said, "Americans think squeezing Iran harder will win concessions that were never part of the agreement."

"Bessent and Hegseth are way out of their league. Stop waiting for the clown crew to pull a rabbit out of their hat and clean up the mess you made," he added.

Hegseth Defends Iran Military Campaign

On Monday, Hegseth defended the U.S. military campaign, saying that the operation was necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, reported The Hill.

"There is a cost of doing very difficult things, to going out and defending your country and ensuring radical Islamist crazies don’t get a nuclear weapon," Hegseth said at an Iowa State Fair event.

He added, "I’m not willing to look my kids in the eye and say, ‘We had a chance to do something about it, but we didn’t.’"

Last week, Bessent separately indicated that Washington could impose sanctions on Iran that have "never been seen."

Read Also: Chuck Schumer Slams Trump’s Iran MoU as ‘Utter Failure’ as Gas Prices Top $4: ‘One of the Greatest Foreign Policy Fiascos’

Trump-Iran Ceasefire Tensions Rise

Iranian officials rejected President Donald Trump’s claim over the Strait of Hormuz, with Mohsen Rezaee mocking Washington’s distance from the waterway and calling for a "post-American order in the Persian Gulf."

The tensions intensified after a vessel was reportedly struck by an unknown projectile in the strait, causing a crew casualty.

Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi accused Israel of blocking a ceasefire agreement and said Trump’s effort to force Iran into "unconditional surrender" had failed.

Meanwhile, Trump refused to extend a 60-day U.S.-Iran memorandum that expired Monday, raising fresh concerns over renewed conflict and disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz.

Strait Remained Blocked

Earlier this month, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority rejected Trump’s claims that the U.S. controlled the Strait of Hormuz, saying the waterway remained blocked and would not reopen until Iran’s conditions were accepted.

Trump had claimed the U.S. maintained control through a naval "wall of steel."

Disclaimer: This content was partially produced with the help of AI tools and was reviewed and published by Benzinga editors.

Read Also: 'Trump Will Not Reach an Agreement With Us,' Iranian Conservative Claims: What Do Prediction Markets Say?

Image via Shutterstock/ Maxim Elramsisy

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.