Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP

Happier Verstappen yet to commit despite F1 changes

Max Verstappen says agreed changes to Formula One's engine regulations for 2027 have boosted the likelihood of ‌him continuing in the sport, but he is yet to commit his future long term.

The four-times world champion earlier this season ‌cast doubt on his career unhappy because of the direction Formula One were heading in.

Verstappen, 28, said a planned shift away from the unpopular 50-50 ‌split between combustion and electrical power pointed Formula One in the right direction.

"I just want a good product in Formula One, and that will for sure improve the product," the Red Bull driver told reporters ahead of this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix.

But he stopped short of an outright guarantee he would be on ‌the grid next ‌year, though his ⁠tone was notably more optimistic than in previous weeks.

"I always wanted ​to continue anyway, but I always wanted to see change. And I think the change that's coming now is definitely very, very positive - or at least, almost back to normal."

Formula One, the FIA and engine manufacturers have agreed in principle to move to a 60-40 split in favour of the internal combustion engine by ⁠increasing fuel flow and reducing electrical power by the ‌same ​amount.

However, the change brings significant engineering challenges, as it impacts engine design and fuel-tank size, and has yet ​to be ‌formally ratified.

"We have to wait and see - if it's fully confirmed, that definitely needs to happen," ​Verstappen, who has repeatedly stressed his concerns were never about his own competitiveness but about the quality of racing, added.

He also pointed to constructive talks with Formula One and the FIA ​earlier ​this year as a positive sign.

"It's just ​great that they're open-minded and they listen to the ‌drivers, because I think we speak in the interest of the sport and we just want to make it a better product."

Verstappen arrives in Montreal fresh from his debut at the Nuerburgring 24 Hours last weekend, where he was on course for victory before a mechanical failure ended his race.

"I do feel ​that it's a bit of unfinished business. I want to win it, so I want to ​go back," he said.

Practice ⁠for the Canadian Grand Prix begins on Friday at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.