Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
France 24
France 24
National
FRANCE 24

French PM Lecornu unveils 'substantial' aid for fire-hit regions after being jeered by angry locals

Cover image: An aerial view of a home burned by a wildfire in Le Porge, southwestern France, Saturday, August 1, 2026. © Nicolas Garriga, AP

French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu on Monday announced €12 million in aid and fast-track rebuilding measures for communities in southwest France devastated by wildfires, adding that the cost of relief measures including tax breaks could eventually exceed €100 million. He was heckled earlier in the day by dozens of locals in the town of Le Porge in the Gironde region, who said they were unhappy with the government's response.

French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu on Monday announced measures to help residents of the southwest hit by wildfires rebuild their lives, after being jeered by locals dissatisfied by the government's response to the disaster.

Help will include some €12 million ($13.9 million) of aid for the Gironde and Landes regions of southwest France worst-hit by the fires, as well as fast-track processes to rebuild homes.

The cost of the support measures implemented by the government following the fires in Gironde could eventually exceed €100 million, he said.

“We could very quickly reach amounts exceeding €100 million euros. We’re talking about quite substantial sums,” he said, citing in particular exemptions from social security contributions and property taxes for businesses affected by the fires or located in evacuated areas.

El bombero Avery Stark, de la unidad Tuolumne-Calaveras de Cal Fire, moja el terreno junto a una línea de contención abierta con topadora mientras combate el incendio Gann cerca de Angels Camp, el martes 4 de agosto de 2026. Ese día trabajaban en el operativo cuatro helicópteros, 50 autobombas, ocho camiones cisterna y 16 topadoras; para el jueves, el despliegue superaba los 1.600 efectivos.
Cover image: El bombero Avery Stark, de la unidad Tuolumne-Calaveras de Cal Fire, moja el terreno junto a una línea de contención abierta con topadora mientras combate el incendio Gann cerca de Angels Camp, el martes 4 de agosto de 2026. Ese día trabajaban en el operativo cuatro helicópteros, 50 autobombas, ocho camiones cisterna y 16 topadoras; para el jueves, el despliegue superaba los 1.600 efectivos. Stephen Lam/San Francisco Chroni - Stephen Lam

Earlier, dozens of residents heckled the premier as he arrived in the region stricken by fires in late July and early August.

Some 200 people dressed in black gathered in front of the town hall in Le Porge in the Gironde region, where 183 homes burned down.

They jeered, whistled and shouted anti-government slogans as the tinted-window car with a flashing light carrying Lecornu approached for a meeting with the mayor of Le Porge, an AFP correspondent said.

"Where is he? Where is he?" the crowd shouted.

Meeting the residents "would have been the least he could do", said Tony Veiga, a 65-year-old pensioner. "It really amounts to treating us as if we don't matter."

Lecornu's office said he had spoken with affected residents and farmers.

Read moreThousands of tourists forced to evacuate as fire rages in southwest France

"We have absolutely nothing to hide regarding how fire protection operations have been conducted over the past few weeks," Lecornu said as he met local officials in the nearby town of Merignac after leaving Le Porge.

'Things we wanted to say'

Speaking in Merignac, Lecornu announced that building permits for the "equivalent reconstruction" of homes destroyed by the fires would be issued within a month, or even quicker.

Meanwhile, the €12 million in aid, available immediately, "will allow local authorities to launch projects without delay and, ultimately, enable them to build a sort of recovery plan", he added. Some €10 million will go to the Gironde region, and €2 million to the Landes region to the south.

Lecornu also warned he would denounce any insurers who "do not play the game".

There is anger in the region among some residents who allege authorities prioritised fighting fires in the upscale Cap-Ferret peninsula – where many affluent Parisians take holidays – over protecting the homes of locals.

"He doesn't want to meet us; it's a shame. We had things we wanted to say," said Ludivine Daurignac, organiser of a group of affected residents in Le Porge who plan to file complaints and get "truth, transparency, and justice".

"We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access," she said.

Read moreBad news for Bordeaux: France's celebrated wine industry faces wake-up call over wildfires

Having burned through 42,000 hectares (104,000 acres), the fire was brought under control on August 1.

It was the largest such fire in France by surface area since 1949, with the flames coming within 15 kilometres (10 miles) of the Bordeaux metropolitan area and forcing the evacuation of more than 220,000 residents and tourists.

The crisis has been a major test for Lecornu, 40, who was named prime minister by President Emmanuel Macron in September 2025.

While he has denied having any presidential ambitions, Le Monde daily reported in an article published Sunday that the president's office was increasingly looking at Lecornu as a viable centrist candidate for the 2027 elections, when Macron's mandate runs out.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.