Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) lost his bid for reelection in the Republican primary for Kentucky’s fourth congressional district. After his loss, Massie made a serious allegation against Fox News, claiming the network had banned him from appearing on their channel for 18 months. The claim has left many people asking what happened between Massie and the network.
Massie lost his seat after Trump-backed challenger Ed Gallrein defeated him in the primary. The congressman had fallen out with Donald Trump over a number of issues. Most notably, Massie co-sponsored a bill requiring the Department of Justice to release its files on deceased child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, a former friend of Trump’s.
He had also been critical of U.S. support for Israel, and in response, pro-Israel groups and donors spent millions of dollars to remove him from office. According to Mediaite, in his concession speech, Massie claimed Fox News had been blacklisting him for months.
Fox News and its complicated relationship with conservative politicians is under the microscope again
“By the way, after 18 months of a blackout of not letting me on Fox, they finally let me on Fox today, four hours into the election,” he said, as the crowd booed. “Their slop is selling, so they’ll keep selling it. But listen, I got to watch Fox also for the first time in 18 months.”
This is not the first time Massie has had a public dispute with Fox News. In June 2025, a Fox News spokesperson told Mediaite that the network had invited Massie to appear on Fox News Live, but he declined the invitation.
It is not clear why Massie turned down the offer, but he has made it plain that he believes the network has treated him unfairly. Fox News has faced scrutiny over its conduct before, including a past incident where a Fox News crew parked illegally and blamed communism.
Massie: By the way, after 18 months of a blackout of not letting me on Fox, they finally let me on four hours into the election. [Booing] Hey, their slop is a selling, so they will keep selling it. pic.twitter.com/IkQ8vFY5Oq
— Acyn (@Acyn) May 20, 2026
Fox News remains one of the most widely watched news networks in the United States, particularly among conservatives. According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, 38% of Americans say they regularly get their news from Fox News, a number comparable to those who regularly watch ABC News and NBC News.
More than a dozen former Fox News personalities are also currently serving as senior members of President Donald Trump’s administration. However, the network is also one of the most distrusted news sources in the country.
Around 42% of Americans say they do not trust Fox News as a news source. Among Democrats, that number rises to 64%, and among liberal Democrats, it reaches 78%. The network has also drawn criticism for how it handles its own reporters on air, as seen when Fox News cut off a reporter mid-broadcast.
Massie’s allegations have drawn attention partly because Fox News has long been seen as a platform that supports and promotes conservative politicians. The network has faced accusations of pushing a pro-Trump agenda and downplaying stories that do not fit that narrative, leading to broader criticism about its editorial choices.
The congressman’s claims have sparked a significant amount of debate in media circles. Whether his allegations are fully accurate or not, they shine a light on the often complicated and tense relationship between politicians and the news outlets that cover them, particularly when those politicians break away from the mainstream position of their own party.