Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Gavin Blackburn

Death toll from Israeli air strikes on Yemen's capital rises to 10, authorities say

The death toll from Israel's latest air strikes on Yemen’s rebel-held capital has risen to 10, health authorities said on Monday.

Multiple strikes rocked Sanaa on Sunday, days after the Iranian-backed Houthis fired a missile towards Israel that its military described as the first cluster bomb the rebels had launched since 2023.

The Israeli strikes hit a facility owned by Yemen's main oil company, which is controlled by the Houthis, along with a power plant and a military site in an area where the presidential palace is located, according to the Houthis and Israel's military.

A fireball and plume of thick smoke rose above the city.

Anees al-Asbahi, a spokesman for the Houthi-run Health Ministry, said in a statement that 10 people were killed in the strikes on the oil facility and power plant.

People walk past the wreckage of a fuel truck destroyed in Israeli air strikes in Sanaa, 25 August, 2025 (People walk past the wreckage of a fuel truck destroyed in Israeli air strikes in Sanaa, 25 August, 2025)

He said the strikes wounded 102 others, including seven children and three women. Twenty-one were in critical condition, he said.

The strikes came after the rebels launched a missile last week towards Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv.

There was no reported damage or injuries. Israel's military said the missile fragmented mid-air after several interception attempts.

The Houthis have launched missiles and drones toward Israel and targeted ships in the Red Sea throughout Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza, the groups says in solidarity with Palestinians.

People ride a motorbike as smoke billows following Israeli air strikes on multiple areas including a power plant and a gas station in Sanaa, 24 August, 2025 (People ride a motorbike as smoke billows following Israeli air strikes on multiple areas including a power plant and a gas station in Sanaa, 24 August, 2025)

In response to the Houthi attacks, Israel and a United States-led coalition bombarded rebel-held areas in Yemen, including Sanaa and the strategic coastal city of Hodeida.

Israeli strikes knocked the Sanaa airport out of service in May.

In May, the Trump administration announced a deal with the Houthis to end the air strikes in return for an end to attacks on shipping.

The rebels, however, said the agreement did not include halting attacks on targets it believed were aligned with Israel.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.