Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
International Business Times
International Business Times
World
Demian Bio

Xi And Putin Take On U.S.-Israeli Attacks In Iran, Call For An End To The War With 'Utmost Urgency'

Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin (Credit: Getty Images / Sputnik)

Chinese and Russian leaders Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin criticized attacks from the U.S. and Israel against Iran and called for an end to the war with the "utmost urgency."

"The sides agree that military strikes by the United States and Israel on Iran breach international law and fundamental norms of international relations and seriously undermine stability in the Middle East," the countries said in a joint statement.

The document went on to say there is a "need for a return as soon as possible of the conflicting parties to dialogue and negotiations aimed to prevent the conflict zone from spreading and urged the international community to maintain an objective and impartial position."

In fact, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps threatened to take the war beyond the region if it's struck again.

In a statement, the powerful paramilitary group said it has not brought all its "capacities" into action, but if it's attacked again, the "the regional war that had been warned of will this time spread beyond the region, and our crushing blows will bring you to ruin in places you cannot even imagine." "We are men of war, and you will witness our power on the battlefield," the document added.

Xi and Putin also condemned what they described as "treacherous military strikes against other countries, the hypocritical use of negotiations as cover for preparing such strikes, the assassination of leaders of sovereign states, the destabilization of the domestic political situation in these states and the provocation of regime change, and the brazen kidnapping of national leaders for trial."

The state of the war continues to be unclear after Trump said on Monday he was calling of planned attacks scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders to give room for more diplomacy as "serious negotiations" were taking place. He added that the deadline was "two-three days, maybe Friday or Saturday, early next week."

Axios detailed that the request, made by the leaders of the UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, was a result of concerns about having their infrastructure targeted by Iran if new strikes took place.

A source with knowledge with the matter said Trump told allies that the Gulf leaders said they didn't "want their oil and energy facilities blown up" by Iranian retaliation.

In the opinion of the Gulf leaders, Trump added, "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond."

However, another report detailed that Iran's latest demands to end the war appear to be largely unchanged from previous ones.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.