Channel 4 has responded to claims that Married at First Sight UK has been “axed” after two women claimed they were raped by their on-screen matches during filming.
The reality TV show is at the centre of serious controversy following the broadcast of the allegations during a BBC Panorama special, during which a third woman also claimed that she was subjected to a non-consensual sex act by her partner on the show.
In response, Channel 4 pulled all previous series of the show from its streaming service, while the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said that the allegations must be investigated.
But after The Sun reported that the upcoming 2026 series, which was due to air in September and has already wrapped filming, has been cancelled, a Channel 4 spokesperson shared an update on the show’s future.
In a statement to The Independent, they said: “No decision has been made on the broadcast of MAFS UK series six. We have just announced an external review into contributor welfare on MAFS UK and we need to see what that finds before deciding what happens next. “
Launched in the UK in 2015, MAFS is a hugely successful franchise, billed as a social experiment in which single people agree to “marry” strangers they meet for the first time at the altar. The series is produced for Channel 4 by independent production company CPL.
These allegations were outlined during an episode of Panorama this week titled “The Dark Side of Married at First Sight”, in which the women claiming that the show did not do enough to protect them.
One woman reportedly told the programme that her onscreen husband had raped her and threatened her with an acid attack, while a second claimed that she had told Channel 4 and CPL that she had been raped by her partner, but that her episodes were still broadcast.
The broadcaster announced, with a statement from chief executive Priya Dogra announced on Monday (18 May), that Channel 4 had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare back in April, after it was presented with “serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied”.
“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
It concluded: “Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
Lawyers for CPL called its welfare system the “gold standard” in a statement to the BBC, saying that it had acted appropriately. Similarly, Channel 4 said MAFS was produced under “some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry”.
Alex Mahon – who served as the broadcaster’s chief executive between 2017 and 2025, during which time MAFS aired seasons three to 10 – faced questions from MPs on Tuesday (19 May), in a pre-scheduled meeting of the culture, media, and sport committee.
Mahon said that the matter was “very serious and concerning”, and said that Channel 4 was right to have launched reviews into the allegations.
Will MAFS UK return to screens?
While Channel 4 has pulled all episodes of the programme from its streaming and linear services, as well as MAFS UK social channels, a question mark remains over whether season 11 will air.
The forthcoming series has already been filmed, with production and weddings beginning back in mid-February 2026 and filming wrapping in April. The series was scheduled to air in September, with a Channel 4 representative telling The Independent that no decision has been made on the series’ broadcast.
MAFS Australia, a separate version of the show which is very popular in the UK, is still available to watch on Channel 4's website.
Death of dating coach Mel Schilling
The series was hit with tragedy earlier this year, following the death of MAFS dating coach Mel Schilling in March.
Schilling, who starred on both the UK and Australian versions of the series, died at the age of 54, two years after she was diagnosed with cancer. Her death was announced by her husband Gareth, with whom she shared one daughter, Madison, born in 2014. Gareth said Schilling “passed away peacefully” and was “surrounded by love”.
The yet-to-be-released 11th UK series saw John Aiken, from the Australian franchise, step in for Schilling.
Welfare review
In a statement released shortly after the BBC broke the news of the allegations on Monday (18 May), Channel 4 announced that it had, last month, commissioned an external review into contributor welfare on MAFS UK “after being presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing”.
An Ofcom spokesperson said: “Under our rules, broadcasters are required to take due care over the welfare of people who might be at risk of significant harm as a result of taking part in a programme.”
“We note that Channel 4 has launched an external review into contributor care on MAFS UK and we await its findings,” they added. “We will review this and all other evidence made available to us.”
It is not clear when the findings of the external review will be published. The Independent has contacted a representative for comment.
Contributor reactions
In the hours since the allegations surfaced, a few previous contributors have voiced their thoughts.
Among those to acknowledge the claims is Luke Worley, who appeared in season eight in 2023. “It’s about time this show got investigated,” Worley wrote on Instagram alongside clapping emojis, and a screenshot of a report announcing the investigation.
Worley’s own time on the show came to a controversial end when he was removed following a physical altercation with co-star Jordan Gayle.
Jay Howard, who had been “married” to Worley that season, wrote on her own Instagram: “It takes immense bravery to speak out in the way these women have tonight.
“No one should ever face that kind of abuse. My heart goes out to you all.”
Also commenting on proceedings is season seven’s Adrian Sanderson, who began his lengthy Instagram post acknowledging that “from my experience, many people in welfare genuinely cared and worked incredibly hard. But welfare teams are television professionals, not trauma specialists or criminal investigators”.
He continued: “When serious allegations are raised, the responsibility should not sit solely with contributors. Sometimes, duty of care means stepping in to make the decision.”
Sanderson said he struggled with Channel 4’s claims that they received “repeated assurances [the contestants] felt safe, happy, and wanted to continue” – responding that: “People are isolated, emotionally heightened, and often still processing what is happening.”
“Pause filming,” he urged. “Remove people from the environment. Investigate properly. Not because anyone has been found guilty. But because safety should come before television.”
He concluded: “When serious concerns are raised, safeguarding should come before production. Television should never come before people... serious questions [may] have to be asked about whether the format is safe enough to make."
Sanderson did point out that “additional professional psychological support before, during and after filming is available. Funded by production."
The history of Married at First Sight
The show originated in Denmark in 2013, with an American version launching in 2014, followed by British and Australian iterations in 2015. Several other countries, including Belgium, France, and Spain, have since produced their own version of the series.
MAFS has proven hugely successful in the UK, with the British series, now on its 11th season, attracting a huge audience on Channel 4. Viewing often exceeds three million, making it one of the broadcaster’s most viable properties.
The show, both in Australia and the UK, has produced famous alumni who have gone on to leverage their time on the series into careers as influencers. Ella Morgan, for example, became a breakout star of season eight in 2023, with Tasha Jay and Paul Liba emerging as a fan-favourite couple from the same season.
Rape Crisis offers support for those affected by rape and sexual abuse. You can call them on 0808 802 9999 in England and Wales, 0808 801 0302 in Scotland, and 0800 0246 991 in Northern Ireland, or visit their website at www.rapecrisis.org.uk. If you are in the US, you can call Rainn on 800-656-HOPE (4673)