Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP

WHO warns of high risk that Ebola 'spreading rapidly'

The World Health Organisation has ‌raised the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into an outbreak across the Democratic Republic of ‌Congo to "very high".

The strain, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the WHO on Sunday.

"We are now revising our risk assessment to very high at the national level, high at the regional level and low at global level," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.

So far, 82 cases ‌have been confirmed in DR ‌Congo, with ⁠seven confirmed deaths, 177 suspected deaths and almost 750 suspected cases.

The situation in ​Uganda is stable, with two cases confirmed in people who travelled from the DR Congo - one of them fatal, Tedros said.

"The potential of this virus spreading rapidly is high, very high, and that changed the whole dynamic," said Abdirahman Mahamud, WHO director of Health Emergency Alert & Response Operations.

Measures taken in Uganda, including intense contact tracing and cancellation of a mass gathering, appear to ⁠have been effective in stemming the spread of the virus, ‌Tedros said.

A ​US citizen who was working in DR Congo has been confirmed to have the virus and been transferred to Germany ​for care.

"We ‌are also aware of reports today about another American national with a high-risk contact who has been transferred ​to the Czech Republic," Tedros added.

The WHO's chief scientist, Sylvie Briand, said an antiviral treatment called Obeldesivir could be used among Ebola contacts to prevent them from developing the disease.

Obeldesivir ​is ​an experimental oral COVID antiviral drug from Gilead ​Sciences.

"This is a promising treatment drug but it has ‌still to be implemented under a very, very strict protocol," Briand said.

The WHO said there were early signs of surveillance working as it was picking up more cases.

However, it was having to catch up as the outbreak likely started two months ago but was only declared last Friday.

"We are sprinting behind, so that we can really try ​to control this outbreak. Because it (the virus) is still transmitting for the time being, the number will keep rising ​for some time," Anne Ancia, the WHO's representative ⁠in DR Congo, said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.