Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Sport
Steve Larkin

'We don't need set stand down rule': AFL chief

Tanner Bruhn was stood down during his court case which resulted in charges being dropped. (James Ross/AAP PHOTOS)

The AFL has ruled out introducing a no-fault stand down policy while defending its actions during Geelong midfielder Tanner Bruhn's sexual assault case.

Rape and intentional sexual touching charges against Bruhn and a co-accused were dropped at the Geelong Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

The AFL stood Bruhn down during the court case - the 23-year-old didn't play this season.

The league's move was criticised as "premature" and a "flawed process" by the AFL Players Association.

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon defended the league while rejecting the need to adopt an NRL-like no-fault stand down rule.

"The AFL has an ability to stand down but it is on a case-by-case basis," Dillon told reporters on Wednesday.

Andrew Dillon
AFL boss Andrew Dillon has defended the league's handling of Tanner Bruhn's case. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

"We start with AFL and AFLW players are absolute role models. And I don't think we need to have a set stand down rule.

"I think it is something that you have to have in your armoury, but it is not something that we would use often."

Dillon declined to detail if other players had been stood down in the past.

"The PA (players association) has their view," he said.

"We worked closely with the AFLPA, Tanner's management, and the Geelong footy club during last year.

"But with the suppression order in place, it was something that we couldn't convey publicly."

Suppression orders on publicly identifying Bruhn and his co-accused were lifted in court on Tuesday.

Dillon said a "sanctioning framework" for off-field demeanours would be discussed with the AFLPA.

"That is something that we are working on ... we see that on the field, that tribunal guidelines are set in place and that works really well for our fans," he said.

"We are working with the PA on a sanctioning framework to put guard rails around those but it is something we believe we would not be using a lot.

"All you can do with this is make the decisions based on the information you do have.

"The AFL does have a complex and complicated regulatory framework and we work really closely with the AFLPA on that."

The AFLPA, in a statement on Tuesday, blasted the league over its handling of Bruhn.

"Tanner was entitled to the presumption of innocence from the outset and throughout," it said in a statement.

"It was clear to us that standing Tanner down would be premature and disproportionate.

Bruhn last played in the AFL in Geelong's preliminary final loss to Brisbane in September 2024.

The rape and intentional sexual touching charges regarded an alleged incident in February 2023.

Both Bruhn and the co-accused, who were charged nine months ago, maintained their innocence.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.