Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Adrian Rollins

'We copped it': motorists, home owners count hail cost

The violent hailstorm that lashed Canberra on Monday has left a multimillion-dollar damage bill in its wake.

Panel beaters, windscreen repairers and insurers have been inundated with inquiries from motorists and home owners seeking help with smashed windscreens and windows, broken tiles and badly damaged roofs and bonnets.

Laurie Barrett of Barrett Brothers Smash Repairs said his phone "hasn't stopped ringing" since the storm hit.

"We had a hailstorm a couple of years ago but I've never seen one this bad," Mr Barrett said. "I've got cars here with broken windows, bonnets, roofs."

Cars around the capital were pelted with hail the size of golf balls on Monday afternoon. Picture: Supplied

Among those badly hit have been car yards.

Chris Clearihan of Braddon Auto Mart said they have experienced hailstorms before, but nothing like Monday's deluge.

Mr Clearihan said all 30 vehicles in the outside lot had been damaged, including broken windows and battered bonnets.

"We copped it. I haven't seen it this bad," he said.

"I'm a pilot and I was watching it on the radar and I didn't think it would be that severe or come on so fast. There is a lot of devastation."

A map showing the hardest hit areas provided by the ACT ESA.

Insurers are fielding dozens of calls, and expect the damage bill to rapidly mount as people get a chance to assess the damage.

Insurance Council of Australia spokeswoman Lisa Kable said 3000 claims have already been lodged from the hailstorm that struck Melbourne on Sunday, and insurers were bracing for a large number of claims from Canberra.

Ms Kable said hailstorms could be extraordinarily destructive.

The storm that hit Sydney in December 2018 generated 143,000 claims worth $1.357 billion, and 90,000 of those claims were for cars alone, she said.

READ MORE:

Ms Kable said priority would be given to those making claims for broken windscreens and other repairs necessary to make vehicles roadworthy.

Mr Barrett warned car owners that some repairs could take months.

He said stocks of spare parts like bonnets will be quickly depleted and people will have to wait until new orders are filled by manufacturers.

Ms Kable said people in Sydney were still lodging claims from the December 2018 storm up to 10 months later.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.