
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro doesn’t seem to be losing much sleep over US President Donald Trump promising to launch ground operations in Venezuela and U.S. warships circling the nation’s coastline. He recently put out a video of himself, and it was not a traditional political message.
According to Al Jazeera, Maduro posted a video of himself driving through the streets of Caracas, seemingly trying to prove he’s not rattled by the U.S. military build-up or the $50 million bounty on his head. Leftist Dominican politician and secretary general of the Dominican Republic Miguel Mejia also accompanied him.
Even though Maduro appears unfazed, the United States is ramping up pressure on the Venezuelan government. While Pentagon is yet to confirm the nature of the next phase of action against Maduro, Reuters reports that the first phase of the operation might involve covert operations.
Maduro cruises while tensions rise
Maduro’s driving video is his latest show of defiance against U.S. threats, following a dance at a student rally in Caracas and his own take on John Lennon’s iconic song, Imagine.
In the video, Maduro and Mejia is seen on front seats, with two other passengers riding in the back. “Today is Wednesday, right?” Maduro asks Mejia. “Yes,” Mejia replies. “Let’s go party” Maduro says. “In the world, they are saying that you are shaking in panic. So scared that you don’t go out on the street,” Mejia remarks.
Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro has posted video of himself driving through the streets of the country’s capital, in an apparent attempt to dismiss perceptions he’s living in fear of the US military build-up in the region and a $50 million US bounty for his arrest. pic.twitter.com/4hKCuuNNE4
— Al Jazeera English (@AJEnglish) November 28, 2025
“Look at this motorbike,” Maduro interrupts, pointing at one speeding ahead of them. “But here, there is noise and normalcy,” Mejia continues.
Despite Maduro’s show of normalcy, he’s taking measures to prepare for a potential U.S. attack. The country has launched a major nationwide military deployment in response to the increasing presence of U.S. naval forces off its coast.
The U.S. has launched an operation called Southern Spear, aimed at targeting “narcoterrorists” in the Western Hemisphere. Military presence in the region has ramped up significantly, and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Venezuela is “part of a larger puzzle” in U.S. plans for the Caribbean.
U.S. forces have carried out more than 20 strikes on alleged drug trafficker vessels so far. Still, the Trump administration has not provided solid evidence that none of the targets were civilian boats.