Several U.S. officials are confused about President Donald Trump's strategy regarding the war in Iran, according to a new report.
Axios cited many officials with knowledge of the matter, some of whom believe the president could extend the ceasefire if no diplomatic breakthrough is achieved in the next days.
Trump said on Monday he was calling of planned attacks scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders to give room for more diplomacy as "serious negotiations" were taking place. He added that the deadline was "two-three days, maybe Friday or Saturday, early next week."
Axios detailed that the request, made by the leaders of the UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, was a result of concerns about having their infrastructure targeted by Iran if new strikes took place.
A source with knowledge with the matter said Trump told allies that the Gulf leaders said they didn't "want their oil and energy facilities blown up" by Iranian retaliation.
In the opinion of the Gulf leaders, Trump added, "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond."
"This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached," Trump added.
However, another report detailed that Iran's latest demands to end the war appear to be largely unchanged from previous ones.
Reuters detailed that demands include ending hostilities on all fronts, the exit of U.S. forces from the region and reparations for damages sustained, as well as the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.
The outlet went on to recall that the wording is quite similar to a proposal Trump called "garbage" last week. The president met with top officials on Monday to discuss the way forward. Hawkish allies told Axios that he "is in the mood of cracking their head open to get them to move in the negotiations."