Enter your email to read this article
Read news on any topic, in one place, from publishers like The Economist, FT, Bloomberg and more.

Turkey denies carrying out deadly strikes in northern Iraq

Turkey’s foreign minister on Thursday rejected accusations that the country's military carried out deadly artillery strikes on tourists in northern Iraq, as the families of those killed laid their dead to rest.

In an in an interview with Turkish state broadcaster TRT, Mevlut Cavusoglu said Turkey was willing to cooperate with Iraqi authorities to shed light on the “treacherous attack.”

“According to the information we received from the Turkish Armed Forces, we did not conduct any attack against civilians,” Cavusoglu said. “Our fight in Iraq has always been against the (banned Kurdistan Workers Party) PKK terrorist organization.”

“We reject the accusations that have been leveled against Turkey before the smoke screen has been lifted,” Cavusoglu said, adding that Turkey believed the attack was aimed at preventing Turkish military operations in the region.

“Iraqi authorities must not fall into this trap,” he said.

Caskets carrying the bodies of those killed in artillery strikes on Wednesday were transported from the semi-autonomous Kurdish-run northern region to the capital, Baghdad, for burial. At least four artillery shells struck the resort area of Barakh in the Zakho district in the Kurdish region.

Iraq’s military said eight people were killed in the attack, but nine caskets were loaded onto the military plane on Thursday. Over 20 people were wounded.

The region’s President Nechirvan Barzani laid a wreath over one casket and helped carry it on board the military plane. Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein was also present.

In Baghdad, Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi received the dead at the airport and met with the families of those killed, according to a statement from his office. He offered his condolences and promised to follow up on their condition and of the wounded, providing them with medical care.

All of the casualties were Iraqi citizens. A child was among the victims.

The incident is testing ties between Iraq and Turkey — two countries that share deep economic ties but are divided over security issues related to Kurdish insurgents operating in Iraq, oil trading with the Kurdish region and water-sharing.

The Turkish Embassy in Iraq announced on its Facebook page that visa appointments had been cancelled for the day. A small protest broke out in the former headquarters of the Turkish mission in the Baghdad neighborhood of Waziriah.

The Iraqi government, which condemned the attack as “flagrant violation of Iraq's sovereignty,” convened an emergency national security meeting, summoned Turkey’s ambassador to Baghdad and ordered a pause in dispatching a new Iraqi ambassador to Ankara.

Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi accused Turkey of ignoring “Iraq’s continuous demands to refrain from military violations against Iraqi territory and the lives of its people.”

Cavusoglu said Turkey had offered to bring the wounded to Turkey for treatment.

Turkey frequently carries out airstrikes into northern Iraq and has sent commandos to support its offensives targeting elements of the outlawed Kurdistan Worker’s Party, or PKK. And though civilians, mostly local villagers, have been killed in the past, Wednesday’s attack marked the first time that tourists were killed.

In April, Turkey launched its latest offensive, named Operation Claw Lock, in northern Iraq — part of a series of cross-border operations that started in 2019 to combat PKK, which has bases in the mountainous region.

The PKK, listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the United States and the European Union, and has led an insurgency in southeastern Turkey since 1984 that has killed tens of thousands of people.

Ankara has pressed Baghdad to root out PKK elements from the northern region. Iraq, in turn, has said Turkey’s ongoing attacks are in breach of its sovereignty.

Related Stories
Turkey rejects carrying out deadly strikes in northern Iraq
Turkey’s foreign minister has rejected accusations that the country’s military carried out deadly artillery strikes against tourists in northern Iraq.
From analysis to the latest developments in health, read the most diverse news in one place.
Turkey rejects responsibility for attack on Iraq's Dohuk that killed eight
Iraq's government will call back the Iraqi charge d'affaires in Turkey for consultation after accusing Ankara of carrying out a strike on a mountain resort in the northern province of Dohuk, the state news agency INA reported.
Iraq declares day of mourning for victims of shelling blamed on Turkey
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhemi declared a day of national mourning Thursday after nine civilians were killed in a strike on a Kurdish hill village he blamed on neighbouring Turkey. Ankara has denied responsibility for the attack.
Angry Iraq buries dead from shelling blamed on Turkey
Baghdad (AFP) - An angry and grieving Iraq on Thursday buried nine holidaymakers, including a newlywed, killed in the artillery bombardment of a Kurdish hill village.
Iraq PM blames Turkey after Kurdistan shelling kills 9 civilians
Zakho (Iraq) (AFP) - Nine civilians including children were killed in a park in Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region Wednesday by artillery fire that Baghdad blamed on neighbouring Turkey, a country engaged in a cross-border offensive.
One place to find news on any topic, from hundreds of sites.
Angry Iraq mourns dead from shelling blamed on Turkey
Arbil (Iraq) (AFP) - Iraq held a day of national mourning Thursday for nine holidaymakers killed in the bombardment of a Kurdish hill village that the government has blamed on neighbouring Turkey.