Federal Medicaid Dollars Step Back From Transition Care for Minors
Starting in mid-October, federal insurance money will no longer flow toward puberty blockers, hormone therapy or surgery when those treatments are used to address gender dysphoria in people under 18. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services made it official on Aug. 11, finalizing a rule that cuts Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program reimbursement for what the agency labels "sex-rejecting procedures." It's one of the furthest-reaching moves the federal government has made yet on youth transition care.
What Actually Changes — and What States Can Still Do
The mechanics matter here. This isn't a nationwide prohibition; it's a funding switch. Federal matching dollars disappear for Medicaid enrollees under 18 and CHIP enrollees under 19 who seek these treatments, but nothing stops a state from covering the same care using its own money. Roughly 17 state Medicaid programs currently pay for at least one of these services, according to AJMC's review of the final rule — meaning those states now face a budget decision the federal government previously helped absorb. That's separate from the roughly 27 states that already restrict this care for minors under their own state laws, a figure TIME traces to the policy tracker maintained by KFF. Minors currently receiving hormone therapy aren't cut off immediately — federal funding continues for up to six months so care can be tapered — and the rule leaves Medicaid and CHIP mental health coverage completely untouched.
The Administration's Case
Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. framed the move bluntly, saying the government is "ending federal taxpayer funding for sex-rejecting procedures on children." CMS Administrator Mehmet Oz backed the reasoning, describing the treatments as carrying real physical risk without solid proof of benefit for minors. President Trump weighed in separately on Truth Social the same day, calling the procedures "barbaric surgeries and practices" and arguing they leave children with lasting bodily harm. CMS has said its position rests on an HHS review of domestic and international research that it says turned up significant evidence gaps and safety concerns.
The Dollar Figures, in Context
However dramatic the politics, the money involved is a rounding error against Medicaid's total size. CMS projects the change will trim federal spending by about $138 million and state spending by another $97 million between fiscal years 2027 and 2036 — a combined $235 million, a number independently corroborated by JDJournal's reporting. That estimate traces back to 2023 billing data showing the two programs spent roughly $31 million that year on care tied to gender dysphoria, out of a system that covers more than 35 million children nationwide.
Advocates Are Already Talking Lawsuits
Reaction from LGBTQ+ groups was swift and unified. GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders legal director Josh Rovenger argued the rule inserts federal policy between parents, kids and their doctors, and said a legal challenge is coming. Human Rights Campaign President Kelley Robinson was more pointed, accusing the administration of "terrorizing trans youth and their families with these kinds of actions." HRC is already in court over a related policy that strips gender-affirming coverage from federal employees' health plans — and nearly every prior rule the administration has issued in this space has ended up being litigated.
Medicine's Middle Ground Is Shrinking, But It Isn't Gone
Framing this as doctors-versus-politics oversimplifies where organized medicine currently stands. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Professional Association for Transgender Health continue to back individualized, case-by-case access to gender-affirming treatment for adolescents with dysphoria. The American Medical Association also says it supports evidence-based care generally — but on surgery specifically, it shifted position in February 2026, telling reporters that absent stronger data, procedures for minors "should be generally deferred to adulthood." That statement followed a position paper from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons the same month, which CMS leans on heavily in the final rule, alongside the United Kingdom's Cass Review of pediatric gender services. In other words: on hormone therapy and blockers, the major medical groups still mostly disagree with the administration; on surgery specifically, the gap has narrowed.
Part of a Longer Pattern
This rule doesn't stand alone. Since Trump's second term began in January 2025, his administration has restricted transgender athletes from women's and girls' sports and barred a nonbinary option on U.S. passports — both policies the Supreme Court has allowed states to enforce for sports and let stand for passports. A separate, earlier effort to cut Medicaid and Medicare funding from hospitals that provide this care to minors is still tied up in litigation after a lower court sided against the administration. This particular Medicaid/CHIP rule was first floated in December 2025 and pulled in more than 35,000 public comments before being finalized — a volume that signals just how contested this remains on both sides.
Originally published on Latin Post