The Trump administration is planning to reduce its military capabilities to assist European NATO allies in case of a major crisis, according to a new report.
Reuters detailed that even though the composition of the NATO Force Model is a secret, the Pentagon will tell allies on Friday that it will significantly reduce its involvement. It is not clear how quickly that scenario will unfold.
The outlet detailed that President Donald Trump wants European countries to take responsibility for the continent's security.
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said he couldn't disclose upcoming announcements but the decision was "to be expected" and NATO seeks to "end the over-reliance." "I think it's only right that it happens," Rutte said.
The decision is the latest case in which the Trump administration reduces its presence in Europe as part of the broader strategy. Earlier this month the Pentagon cancelled plans to deploy 4,000 additional troops to Poland while moving forward with the withdrawal of thousands more from Germany.
Speaking to Reuters, a U.S. official said the decision was part of a near-term solution allowing the drawdown in Germany. The outlet said the development could mean troops could ultimately end up being deployed to Poland but come from elsewhere.
CNN detailed that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth cancelled the scheduled deployment of 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division. Some personnel were already in Europe and must now go back to the U.S. Hegseth also cancelled the deployment of a battalion speialized in firing long-range rockets and missiles.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said he got assurances that the country's security wouldn't be impacted. "I received assurances, and this is also important to me, that these decisions are of a logistical nature and will not directly affect deterrence capabilities and our security," he said in a press conference.
Polish President Karol Nawrocki had vowed to lobby U.S. counterpart Donald Trump to get the country to host the troops Washington pulled from Germany.
"If President Donald Trump decides to reduce the American military presence in Germany, then we in Poland are ready to receive American soldiers," Nawrocki said during NATO exercises in Lithuania. He added that the country has "the infrastructure ready" for that scenario. Poland currently hosts 10,000 U.S. troops.