Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Megan Howe

Trans Met Police special constable found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child

Photo of the defendant, Gwyn Samuels, who now self-identifies as a transgender woman - (Gwyn Samuels)

A volunteer Metropolitan Police officer has been found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child.

James Bubb, who now identifies as a woman named Gwyn Samuels, groomed one of his two victims online before sexually assaulting her when she was just 12 years old.

The 27-year-old defendant, from Chesham in Buckinghamshire, was also found guilty of raping a woman he met online while posing as a 16-year-old girl.

Jurors at Amersham Crown Court were told the defendent, who still identified as male at the time of the alleged offences, would be referred to by their biological sex throughout the trial.

On Thursday, in relation to one complainant, Bubb was found guilty of four sexual assault offences.

He was found guilty of one count of raping a child under 13, one count of sexual activity with a child, one count of assault of a child under 13 by penetration, and one count of assault by penetration.

In relation to the same complainant, he was found not guilty of one count of rape and one count of sexual activity with a child.

Bubb was found guilty of one count of rape against a second complainant.

The offences took place between January 1 2018 and April 2, 2024, Amersham Crown Court heard.

Gwyn Samuels, who was previously known as James Bubb (PA Wire)

The trial was told that Bubb met his first victim on the online chat site Omegle in 2018 before meeting in person for the first time at a Christian festival a few months later.

The girl said the defendant looked "paranoid" when he was with her, and she was being "hidden" when they were in public together, telling police her festival colour-coded child wristband was clearly on show.

Bubb sexually assaulted the girl in public shortly before her 13th birthday and was forced to pull his trousers up after a dog walker went past him, the court heard.

His first victim also said the defendant spoke "a lot about the powers he had" in his role with the Met as a special constable.

Jurors were told Bubb was violent towards the girl when he raped and sexually abused her in her early teens, with the victim telling police he choked and punched her.

Court artist drawing of former Metropolitan Police service special sergeant Gwyn Samuels, previously known as James Bubb (PA Wire)

The court also heard the officer raped his second victim, a woman he met when she had just turned 18, while he was in an on-off relationship with her between January 2018 and February 2023.

The victim said Bubb used "BDSM and kink as a way of creating control" over her.

She said the defendant would "use police training techniques" on her , telling police: "The control, the power he got. It sure as hell wasn't consensual."

Bubb, who wore a black cardigan, glasses, and cream shirt, made no expression as the verdicts were read out but sobbed with their head in their hands after the foreman finished speaking.

Judge Jonathan Cooper told jurors: "This has been a very challenging case, I'm sure, for you as individuals."

He said he tells every jury not to speak about the case outside the jury room, but added: "I recognise that's a very big ask when dealing with counts that would be very, very difficult to hear.

"In this case you heard a range of things that may have been familiar to you, that may have been unfamiliar to you, and may have been unwanted."

Jurors reached verdicts after deliberating for six hours and 32 minutes.

Bubb will be sentenced at a date that the court has yet to set.

After the verdict, a spokesperson for the NSPCC child protection charity said: "As a special constable, Bubb should have been someone who could be relied on to keep children safe.

"It is now vital that both the victims in this disturbing case receive all the support they need to move forwards with their lives.

"Bubb's actions also highlight once again how tech companies need to be doing much more to make their platforms safe spaces for children and young people when they go online."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.