Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Sam Tabuteau

Totttenham: Roberto De Zerbi issues Guglielmo Vicario update as Antonin Kinsky waits on Chelsea decision

Roberto De Zerbi has confirmed that Guglielmo Vicario is in contention to start for Tottenham against Chelsea on Tuesday evening.

Vicario has been sidelined since undergoing hernia surgery over the March international break, with understudy Antonin Kinsky earning rave reviews in his absence.

Spurs realistically need just one point from their final two games to avoid relegation from the Premier League, at the expense of West Ham, and Kinsky’s performances have proven vital.

With Vicario expected to leave the club in the summer, amid transfer links with Inter Milan, the impressive Kinsky will look to keep his place.

But De Zerbi insists no decision has been made over his goalkeepers for the crunch derby.

Vicario is No1 but we have to consider the physical condition, the momentum and everything

Roberto De Zerbi

De Zerbi had said he expected Vicario to be back training four weeks ago, but asked whether he would return against Chelsea, the Spurs boss said: "Vicario is available to play. I will decide tomorrow [if he starts]."

He added: No, it is not [a] difficult [decision]. It is easy. Vicario is No1 but we have to consider the physical condition, the momentum and everything.

“I have a big relationship with Kinsky and Vicario as well and there will be no problem.”

Solanke has also been absent, having missed Spurs’ last two games after suffering a hamstring injury during the win at Wolves.

De Zerbi was more optimistic about Solanke last week, stating that he hoped to have the striker back in contention for Tuesday’s trip to Stamford Bridge. But his involvement for the remainder of the season is now in doubt.

Spurs looked short of attacking options as they drew 1-1 with Leeds last Monday, and asked whether Solanke could bolster their frontline against Chelsea, De Zerbi said: "Solanke is not good yet. Not available.

“He feels something and I don't want to take the risk for this game. We hope for Sunday he can be available for one part of the game.”

James Maddison came off the bench against Leeds (Getty)

James Maddison made his first competitive appearance in over a year as he came off the bench against Leeds last Monday, and remains in contention for further minutes against Chelsea despite a slight fitness issue.

The 29-year-old’s return has come as a welcome boost for De Zerbi, who admitted: "The beginning of this week he did not work because of a small problem.

“But [on Sunday and Monday] he is working very well. Now, he is not ready to play 90 minutes. I will speak to him tomorrow and take a decision."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.