Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Sam Tabuteau

Tottenham: Roberto De Zerbi confirms when Cristian Romero's future will be decided

Roberto De Zerbi has confirmed that any decision on Cristian Romero’s Tottenham future will be made at the end of the season.

Romero has been ruled out for the remainder of the campaign with a knee injury sustained during last month’s 1-0 defeat to Sunderland.

The Spurs captain was, however, pictured training individually without a knee brace at Hotspur Way on Monday as he bids to return to fitness in time for this summer’s World Cup.

The focus for De Zerbi over the last few weeks has been on steering Spurs clear of the relegation zone, and he says he is not concerned about when Romero will be able to play again as attention turns to Tuesday’s trip to Chelsea.

“I don’t know, but listen, we have to play another two games,” De Zerbi said in his pre-match press conference on Monday afternoon.

“Now, for our injured players, when are they available after a long time with injury? It is a big problem because the season is tough and only one target we have now.

“Play with Romero? Play with Vicario? Play with Kinsky? The target is just one and to stay up and make a point tomorrow, because this is the target for everyone.

“Individual targets now are not important.”

Sidelined: Cristian Romero (Getty)

De Zerbi is not thinking about next season, despite, in effect, needing just one more point from their remaining two games to avoid relegation.

Romero, though, is one of a number of players to have been heavily linked with a move away from Spurs in the summer.

The 28-year-old’s future will be one of the main talking points of what is expected to be a busy summer transfer window in north London.

But while acknowledging how important it is to get clarity around whether Romero stays at the club, De Zerbi said now was not the right time to take any decisions on his future.

“It is a good question, but it is the wrong timing, no? First of all now the focus is Chelsea,” he continued.

“Second point, Romero is a great player, and the most important is the behaviour and how much the player wants to stay in this club.

“We are going to take all the decisions after this season and after the Everton game.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.