Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Cait Kelly

Three people dead after light plane crashes on takeoff near Wollongong

Emergency examine surround plane wreckage
Three people have died after a light plane crashed soon after takeoff at Shellharbour airport near Wollongong in NSW on Saturday morning. Photograph: ABC

Three people have died after a light plane crashed at Shellharbour airport on Saturday morning near Wollongong in New South Wales.

The plane took off about 10am before crashing and catching fire.

Speaking to the media on Saturday, the chief inspector of Lake Illawarra police district, Aaron Wunderlich, said it was a private plane heading to Ballarat.

“It’s obviously a very tragic incident,” Wunderlich said.

There were three adults on board of a similar age group but they have not been formally identified.

“Police are working to formally identify the three people involved in the incident, so I can’t release any details at this point in relation to who they are, or their ages, or where they’re from,” he said.

The airport was hosting an open day with the local aviation museum. The plane was not part of the open day but parts of the crowd witnessed the crash.

“It’s quite a gruesome scene,” he said. “I’m guessing probably about 10 to 15 people … may have witnessed it.”

“We also had RFS on scene for a training exercise, so some people from our RFS have actually witnessed the accident.”

He said NSW police would offer counselling to first responders and witnesses of the crash.

A Fire and Rescue NSW inspector, Andrew Barber, told the ABC a local RFS unit had been at the airport doing training at the time of the crash and had rushed to help.

“However, due to the nature of fuel, the fuel exposure, the combustion of the fuel, the occupants had no chance of being saved,” Barber said.

“So the plane, which has been from what Fire and Rescue said, it was broken into multiple pieces by the impact of the crash. It’s still on the site, as are the three people who died, unfortunately, and there will be a full investigation forthcoming by police.”

Katelin McInerney, the local Labor MP elected for the seat of Kiama wrote on social media the news was “devastating”.

“My thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved in the crash, as well as the dedicated first responders,” she said.

Emergency services were at the airfield and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigators have been notified.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.