Southampton have been expelled from the Championship play-offs and docked four points after admitting to spying on opponents Middlesbrough before their semi-final meeting.
The Teesside club have been reinstated to the play-offs in an incredible verdict from an independent commission, which heard the case on Tuesday.
Middlesbrough reported to the EFL that a member of Southampton staff had spied on a training session on May 7, in breach of league rules, with the EFL charging them the following day.
Middlesbrough are now set to take on Hull in Saturday’s play-off final at Wembley, pending any appeal from Southampton.
Southampton have confirmed to the Press Association they will appeal the sanctions. The EFL said the parties were working to ensure an appeal could be heard on Wednesday.
Read more
-
Justice Secretary warns clubs 'nothing off the table' after Celtic Trongate disorder
-
Steve Clarke on the 'most difficult' call he had to make for World Cup squad
-
Ibrox CEO claims Rangers are leading the way in improving officiating standards
“Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture,” the EFL said.
The EFL confirmed further charges had been laid against Southampton on Sunday, and that Southampton had admitted observing training sessions ahead of matches against Oxford last December and Ipswich in April 2026, as well as the one before the Boro game.
The EFL said the written reasons for the commission’s sanctions would be issued in due course, and that it would now hold further discussions with the three clubs regarding the implications of the decision.
Middlesbrough, who had called last week for Southampton to be kicked out over the scandal, issued a statement welcoming the decision, adding: “We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.
“As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”