Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
Rebecca Sherdley & Matthew Bunn

Sister's poignant tribute to Nottingham man Paul Cox killed after 'senseless' live-streamed attack

A sister has paid tribute to her 'funny' brother who was killed after a 'senseless and brutal' attack. Paul Cox, 63, died on February 18, eight days after being attacked by Declan O'Donnell at his home in Mansfield Road, Nottingham.

The sadistic incident was live-streamed on social media and O'Donnell, 24, previously of Mansfield Road, was convicted by a jury of murder on Monday, May 15. On Friday, May 19, he was handed a life sentence with a minimum term of of 21 years and 272 days.

Speaking after the sentence, Paul's sister Lyn Rolfe, of West Bridgford, said: "Paul was funny. He always made everybody laugh and always had a good sense of humour."

When asked about what happened to her brother she told Nottinghamshire Live: "We are all shocked and appalled. It was completely senseless and brutal."

Viewers of the footage of O'Donnell's sick attack pleaded with him to stop - with one writing, "stop, you are killing him". Nottingham Crown Court heard O'Donnell left four times and returned to continue to give his victim a beating.

Police learned of the horrific incident after a member of O'Donnell's family saw the shocking stream on social media. The relative made two 999 calls, to police and ambulance, and officers and paramedics raced to the property in Mansfield Road.

But O'Donnell created a delay in Mr Cox receiving urgent medical treatment for his injuries, 45 in all, because he redirected officers to another address. He even laughed on a video as he did so, which he did not live stream.

When officers returned after going to the wrong address, O'Donnell threatened them with a knife, with Mr Cox mortally injured inside. Eventually, O'Donnell surrendered, as police got out a Taser.

Mr Cox was in a horrific condition when they reached him and was unable to speak. He never regained consciousness.

O'Donnell was first charged with GBH with intent, but the charge was changed to murder, after Mr Cox died in Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, eight days after the attack.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.