Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
Nathan Bevan & Robert Dalling

Second woman found dead in river after Ystradfellte Falls incident

Police have confirmed the body of a woman recovered from a river in Glynneath on Sunday is that of a second woman who was still missing following an incident at Ystradfellte Falls in the Brecon Beacons. The discovery was made on the afternoon of Sunday, January 8, at Spring Valley Lakes, a privately-owned 80-acre camping site situated just off the A465.

Dyfed-Powys Police, Wales Ambulance Service, and Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene at just after 12pm. A spokesman for Dyfed-Powys Police said on Monday: "Sadly we can confirm that officers searching for two women who are believed to have entered the water in the Ystradfellte area on Wednesday, January 4, recovered a second body from the river in the Glynneath area.

"Next of kin has been informed with the families being supported by specialist officers. We would like to the thank colleagues from mountain rescue, the fire service, and members of the public for their support during what has been a difficult operation."

READ MORE: Vandals set fire to Valleys school causing over £20k of damage

A body was recovered from a lake in the area (Spring Valley Lakes)

The discovery brings to an end a massive rescue operation first sparked last week after the body of another woman was recovered from the national park beauty spot which is also known as Four Waterfalls Walk. Extreme weather conditions, including heavy rain and high and fast-flowing water, meant the search had to be called off at one point.

A spokesman for Spring Valley Lakes in Glynneath said on Sunday: "We had a call because someone spotted a body in the river. The emergency services came flying down here and a female was recovered. A rescue team went across the lake and came out the other end."

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed they had attended the scene, adding: "We were called at 12.29pm and responded with an ambulance, a helicopter, and a rapid response vehicle." A spokeswoman for Mid and West Wales Fire Service said it attended "an incident in the water" and had sent three crews to the scene. Neither woman has yet been identified.


Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.