Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
World

Rubio offers Cubans ‘a new path’

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a White House briefing in May 2026. (Photo: AFP)

WASHINGTON - US Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered Cubans a “new path” in a special video address Wednesday hours before Washington was expected to criminally indict the island’s former leader Raul Castro.

Addressing the Cuban people directly in Spanish, Rubio accused the country’s communist leadership of theft, corruption and oppression.

“President (Donald) Trump is offering a new path between the US and a new Cuba,” said Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants.

“A new Cuba where you have a real opportunity to choose who governs your country and vote to replace them if they are not doing a good job.”

Tensions between Washington and Havana have spiked in recent months since US forces ousted Cuba’s regional ally Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro in a military raid and then imposed a painful energy blockade on the already economically struggling island nation.

Trump has repeatedly signalled that the Cuban government could be next to fall, and earlier this month even said Washington would be “taking over” the Caribbean island, only around 90 miles (145km) from Florida, “almost immediately”.

“In the US, we are ready to open a new chapter in the relationship between our people and our countries,” Rubio said, according to an official English translation of his speech published by the State Department.

“And, currently, the only thing standing in the way of a better future are those who control your country.”

In his speech, Rubio accused Gaesa, the military-backed conglomerate estimated to control 40% of the Cuban economy, of enriching the elites at the expense of ordinary citizens.

“A ‘state within the state’ that is accountable to no one and hoards the profits from its businesses for the benefit of a small elite,” Rubio charged.

“And the only role played by the so-called ‘government’ is to demand that you continue making ‘sacrifices’ and repressing anyone who dares to complain.”

The US Department of Justice was expected on Wednesday to announce criminal charges against 94-year-old Raul Castro, who succeeded his brother Fidel as president of Cuba and oversaw a historic 2015 rapprochement with the United States under Barack Obama that Trump later reversed.

CBS News reported that the possible indictment would focus on the 1996 downing of two civilian planes manned by anti-Castro pilots, citing US officials familiar with the matter.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.