Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Adrian Black

Rex board accused of knowing big loss about to take off

Four former Rex airlines directors are accused of misleading investors about expecting a profit. (Jane Dempster/AAP PHOTOS)

Four Rex directors knew they were on-track for an eight-figure financial loss long before they walked back claims they were heading for profit, a court has been told.

Former Rex board members told investors they were confident in a strong financial result, despite being on-track for what ultimately was a more than $30 million loss, the corporate watchdog alleges.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission is seeking penalties and disqualification orders against former executive chairman Lim Kim Hai, former chair John Sharp and directors Lincoln Pan and Siddharth Khotkar.

Rex released a market statement on February 28, 2023 claiming it was optimistic the company would post positive operating profits for the financial year, barring external shocks.

Former Rex chair John Sharp (file)
Former Rex chair John Sharp is among the ex-board members being sued by the financial regulator. (Mick Tsikas/AAP PHOTOS)

Despite incurring multiple operating losses in the months before, the statement was not corrected until June 20, 10 days before the financial year ended.

Rex adjusted its guidance to a $35 million loss before ultimately posting a $31.7 million pre-tax operational loss for the year.

The directors must have had some idea of the carrier's financial fortunes well before they informed the market, ASIC barrister Michael Borsky KC argued. 

"That is untenable," Mr Borsky told the NSW Supreme Court hearing in Sydney.

"Mr Lim in particular, but all of them, knew the position much, much earlier and ought to have taken steps to correct or withdraw the unreasonable guidance well before the middle of June."

Rex signage (file)
The profit guidance was unreasonable as Rex only had five months to turn losses around, ASIC argued. (Jane Dempster/AAP PHOTOS)

The commission's legal team noted there had been no external shocks to contribute to the result.

The initial profit claims were unreasonable given Rex only had five months to turn its early losses around, particularly given seasonal weakness for domestic carriers in the six months to July, ASIC argued.

"(Revenues were) essentially flat in the recent period and still way below where it needed to be to get back close to anything resembling break even," Mr Borsky said.

A separate breach of the airline's disclosure obligations, relating to the expansion from regional services into domestic operations, led to a $66,000 fine in 2021.

Rex plane (file)
Rex is Australia's largest independent regional airline, flying to 53 destinations. (James Ross/AAP PHOTOS)

Rex fell into administration in 2024 with about $500 million in debt and was later snapped up by US aviation group Air T via administrators EY in October 2025.

The federal government extended the carrier an $80 million lifeline in late 2024, and bought $50 million of its debt from a major creditor to keep regional routes running.

Rex is Australia's largest independent regional airline, flying to 53 destinations across the nation.

The former directors' lawyers will outline their defences on Tuesday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.