Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Caroline Mortimer

Primary school evacuated in Belfast after 'suspicious object' found nearby

A primary school in Belfast has been evacuated after a “suspicious object” was found nearby.

Police are on the scene after the item was found near Christ the Redeemer Primary School in Dunmurry in the west of the city shortly after 9am. 

A local source told the Sun: "Police advise some classes have been evacuated to the hall as a precaution. We have been liaising with the school and PSNI to limit disruption. Police have part of the area cordoned off."

Local bus service operator Translink tweeted that roads had been shut and there were diversions in place until further notice.

There have been reports of “chaotic” scenes as parents arrive to collect their child from the local church hall, according to the BBC

A spokeswoman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said: "Police and army technical officers are examining a suspicious object outside Christ the Redeemer Primary School in Lagmore Drive".

Local Northern Assembly member Jennifer McCann told UTV said the incident will cause “a lot of anxiety” for local parents. 

She said: “This is absolutely disgraceful, whoever was behind this.

“We don’t know a lot of detail about this device but I have been speaking to the PSNI and the school and certainly it has caused major disruption for the children, teachers and also parents.

“There’s a lot of anxiety for them, listening to this news and wondering if their children are safe.”  

It comes as the city is on high alert following the discovery of a bomb in the Derry area on Sunday evening and the attack on a prison officer on Friday. 

A group calling themselves the New IRA have claimed responsible for a Semtex bomb which detonated underneath a prison van which was being driven by the 52-year-old. 

The victim suffered serious injuries and underwent surgery but is now believed to be in a stable condition.

Dissident groups have warned they plan to mark the centenary of the Easter Rising by killing members of the security forces, according to a senior Belfast police officer. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.