Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
The Hindu Bureau

Parliament security breach | Delhi court sends 4 accused to 7-day police custody

A special court on Thursday sent the four accused arrested for intruding into Parliament to seven-day police custody after he Delhi police produced them before the court in New Delhi and sought their 15-day remand.

The accused — Manoranjan D., Sagar Sharma, Amol Shinde and Neelam Devi — were produced before Special Judge for NIA cases Hardeep Kaur by the city police, which sought their custodial interrogation. Prosecution accused the four arrested accused of terrorism, said they tried to incite fear. The attack was

They have been charged under anti-terror law UAPA besides sections of Indian Penal Code.

In a major security breach on the anniversary of the 2001 Parliament terror attack, two persons — Sagar Sharma and Manoranjan D. — jumped into the Lok Sabha chamber from the visitors' gallery, unleashed yellow coloured smoke from canisters and shouted slogans before being overpowered by some MPs and watch and ward staff.

Around the same time, two other accused — Amol Shinde and Neelam Devi — also sprayed coloured gas from canisters while shouting "tanashahi nahi chalegi" outside Parliament premises.

Sagar, Manoranjan, Amol and Neelam were immediately taken into custody, while their accomplice Vishal, in whose house the accused stayed before reaching Parliament, was detained later from Gurugram. Lalit Jha, a key conspirator, is on the run.

A case was registered under UAPA sections 16 (punishment for terrorist act) and 18 (punishment for conspiracy, etc.) and IPC sections 120B (criminal conspiracy), 452 (trespass), 153 (wantonly giving provocation, with intent to cause riot), 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) at the Parliament Street police station, police sources said.

All the four accused were interrogated at Diplomatic Security Force’s office located at Chanakyapuri. Initially, Neelam and Amol were taken to Parliament Street Police station and later, they were shifted to the DSF office.

Names of two organisations have also emerged in the investigation of the Special Cell and their roles are being examined, a senior official said, adding all the accused are giving same answers to the investigation team.

“It seems that they had already made preparations as to what to answer when the police interrogate them when they are caught,” the official said.

Earlier in the day, eight security personnel were suspended for Wednesday’s incident.

Meanwhile, Delhi Police is conducting raids to the nab Lalit, who is a teacher by profession and is believed to be the main conspirator of the security breach, officials said.

Influenced by revolutionary Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Lalit, a resident of Kolkata, and others were highly motivated to commit an act which could draw the country’s attention.

According to an official privy to the probe, all six joined a Bhagat Singh fan page on Facebook after coming in touch with each other on social media.

Lalit, Sagar and Maoranjan had about a year ago met in Mysuru where they made a plan to barge into the Parliament. They later added Neelam and Amol into the plan.

Lalit took the lead and instructed Manoranjan to do a recce of all entry points of the Parliament during the Monsoon Session, the official said.

“In July, Manoranjan came to Delhi and went inside Parliament on a visitor pass issued on the name of an MP. There, he got to know that the frisking of shoes does not happen,” the official said.

On Wednesday, Lalit came with the four others to Parliament. When they got only two passes of them, Lalit decided to take the mobile phones of all four — Sagar, Manoranjan, Neelam and Amol — with him.

The colour canisters, which were sprayed inside and outside the Parliament complex, were brought by Amol from Kalyan, Maharashtra.

Lalit’s last location was traced in Neemrana on the Rajasthan-Haryana border. Police had earlier said that all five had gathered on December 10 and stayed at Vishal Sharma’s residence in Gurugram.

Also Read | Security breach in parliament a major lapse, says Chidambaram

Police sources on Wednesday said the security breach was well-coordinated and meticulously planned.

Police officials said that during interrogation, Amol told investigators they were upset with issues like the farmers’ protest, Manipur crisis and unemployment and that was why they carried out this act.

“They had the same ideology and hence decided to give a message to the government,” an official said.

The eight security personnel suspended for the security breach belong to various agencies who were on deputation for Parliament security. Sources identified them as Rampal, Arvind, Vir Das, Ganesh, Anil, Pradeep, Vimitt and Narendra.

“Though they are on deputation for Parliament security, their cadre controlling authority is the organisation they represent and not the Lok Sabha Secretariat,” a functionary said.

Personnel from the Delhi Police and CRPF are deployed to frisk those entering the complex as well as the building.

(With PTI inputs)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.