Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Politics
Press Association Reporters

Nigel Farage paid for £1.4m property with I’m A Celebrity money, Reform UK says

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage has said the £5m gift he received was not connected to his purchase of a £1.4 million house (Jordan Pettitt/PA) - (PA Wire)

Nigel Farage bought a £1.4 million property using money he received for taking part in I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!, Reform UK has said.

Sky News reported on Thursday that the party leader had paid for the house in 2024, shortly after receiving a £5 million personal gift from billionaire donor Christopher Harborne.

Property records show the purchase of the property was completed in May that year, weeks before he decided to stand in the general election, according to the broadcaster.

Nigel Farage at Heathrow airport after taking part in I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here (Jonathan Brady/PA) (PA Archive)

Mr Farage has insisted there is no connection between the gift from Thailand-based crypto-investor Mr Harborne, who has donated millions to Reform UK, and the property purchase.

The party said on Friday that the house was paid for using funds received for participating in ITV’s I’m A Celebrity reality series, which he did in November 2023.

Reports suggested he was given a fee of £1.5 million for the show, in which he finished third.

A Reform UK spokesman said: “The relevant chronology is straightforward. The offer and purchase process for the property commenced before the gift.

“Mr Farage had already passed proof of funds and the relevant checks before receiving the gift. The purchase was therefore already proceeding independently of it.”

The Reform UK leader took part in I’m A Celebrity in 2023 (Jordan Pettitt/PA) (PA Wire)

Commenting on X, Mr Farage said on Thursday: “This is fake news by the establishment media who will do anything to hurt Reform as we challenge their cosy consensus.

“I had passed proof-of-funds and the relevant checks before receiving the gift.

“Sky News did not publish that part of our statement despite knowing the truth.”

The Press Association understands Reform UK is considering legal options in response to the report.

Mr Farage is facing an investigation by the Commons sleaze watchdog over the undeclared £5 million gift, over which he had previously said there is “no case to answer”.

The Reform UK leader has said the gift was not connected to his political activity and was needed to pay for private security for the rest of his life.

PA understands Mr Farage was referred to Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards Daniel Greenberg, and the watchdog has opened an investigation under rule five of the MPs’ code of conduct.

The house purchase was reportedly completed in May 2024 (Joe Giddens/PA) (PA Wire)

This rule specifies new MPs should register relevant financial interests received in the 12 months before their election within one month of entering Parliament.

In an interview with The Sun newspaper, Mr Farage said the gift was given on a “completely unconditional basis”, adding: “Frankly, it was given as a reward for campaigning for Brexit for 27 years.”

When it was suggested the gift may have influenced his decision to return to public life, Mr Farage said: “I can’t be bought by anybody, not even Elon Musk.”

Reports had previously suggested a donation to Reform could be made through a branch of Mr Musk’s X company, though relations between Mr Farage and the tech billionaire have cooled since.

Mr Farage said in his interview: “He wanted to give us a load of money if I said certain things publicly and I refused.

“I didn’t do it so I made an enemy of Elon Musk, but that shows you I am my own man. I make my own mind up.”

In 2018, Mr Farage was reportedly docked £35,000 – half his monthly salary as a member of the European Parliament – following claims he misspent EU funds.

He was said to have been investigated over accusations his office assistant had not been working on EU matters, the BBC said.

Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch said Mr Farage should come clean about what the £5 million was for (Stefan Rousseau/PA) (PA Wire)

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch, meanwhile, said Mr Farage should “come clean” about what the money from Mr Harborne was for.

“We all know that if Keir Starmer had received a £5 million in cash as a gift and didn’t tell anyone, Nigel Farage would be using this to attack him every single day,” Mrs Badenoch told the Press Association at an electrical engineering manufacturer in Saffron Walden.

She added: “£5 million is a fortune, it would take a nurse about 128 years to earn that kind of money.

“What was it for? We don’t want our politics to be bought in this country. The transparency rules are there for a reason.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.