Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Harri Evans & Ellie Kemp

Mother desperately tried to save son who died choking on piece of banana

An inquest has heard how a mother desperately tried to save her two-year-old's life after he choked on a piece of banana just before bedtime.

Danielle Butterley had given her son Dylan John James Greig a piece of fruit before bed at their home in Denbighshire, Wales in July this year.

She would usually give him a bedtime bottle instead.

The 30-year-old left the room for 'no more than 30 seconds' and returned to find her son lying on his back.

READ MORE: Kitten 'lucky to be alive' after being shot with air rifle is latest victim of village's cat killer

Senior coroner for North Wales east and central, John Gittins, heard at an inquest held yesterday (December 15) at Ruthin County Hall that Danielle had battled to save her son's life - and the family rang 999 for help.

The court heard her own brother-in-law PC Brian Williams was on duty and raced to the 999 call, not realising it was his own nephew who was choking.

Danielle told the inquest she had given him the piece of banana just before bedtime instead of his bottle.

She said she patted his back and "was trying anything" to revive him.

Danielle had battled to save her son's life while the family rang 999 for help. (Wales News Service)

"I quickly realised something was wrong. He was flapping his arms around and I could see he was choking," she said in in a statement.

"I was trying anything. I can't describe the sound that came from him."

Danielle called 999 and was given advice by ambulance control on how to help Dylan, reports North Wales Live.

She said she found a piece of banana in her son's throat "completely stuck fast and wasn't moving."

Police officers were called with paramedics - but it was only when PC Williams arrived at the house that he realised the child was his nephew.

PC Williams, whose wife is Ms Butterley's sister, said he was "incredibly shocked" on entering the house to find his sister-in-law "carrying out chest compression on my two-year-old nephew."

He led Danielle from the room while paramedics tried to resuscitate Dylan who was taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd Hospital, but died later that evening.

"I will never be able to forget that night," PC Williams added.

Danielle said she found a piece of banana in her son's throat "completely stuck fast and wasn't moving." (Wales News Service)

Having read Ms Butterley's statement, senior coroner John Gittins told her: "I can't imagine for one second how difficult that must have been for you."

He recorded a conclusion of accidental death caused by hypoxic cardiac arrest due to choking on a banana.

Mr Gittings said the banana had been given to Dylan in an "entirely appropriate and normal way."

He said: "This was a tragic set of events that ultimately led to the loss of this two-year-old."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.