Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - US
The Guardian - US
World
Guardian staff and agency

Luigi Mangione New York murder trial postponed after guilty plea in federal case

a man looking at a camera
Luigi Mangione in Manhattan supreme court in May. Photograph: Jeenah Moon/Reuters

A New York state ⁠judge on Monday ⁠effectively ​postponed Luigi Mangione’s trial on murder and weapons charges over ⁠the 2024 killing of a health insurance company CEO, after Mangione pleaded ⁠guilty last week to separate federal charges.

The ​trial had ‌previously been ‌scheduled to begin on 8 September. Mangione ‌has pleaded not guilty to the state charges. Mangione’s lawyers on Friday asked New York state justice Gregory Carro, who is overseeing the state case, ‌to dismiss the charges.

They argued that Mangione should not have to ​be punished for the same conduct twice, under New York’s law prohibiting double jeopardy.

In a brief written order on ⁠Monday, Carro gave prosecutors until 9 October ​to ​respond to Mangione’s ​motion. The judge set Mangione’s next ​appearance in ‌state court ​for ​10 December, meaning the trial will not go forward next month.

Mangione, 28, confessed that he shot and killed Brian Thompson, the CEO of UnitedHealthcare, outside a New York City hotel on 4 December 2024.

He suffered from severe back pain and, he told the court last week, had problems with “navigating the obstacles of the health insurance system and witnessing similar experiences of countless others”.

In his federal case, Mangione faced stalking charges, after other charges, including murder, were dropped.

A spokesperson for Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, who brought the state charges against Mangione, referred to a Friday statement indicating that the office was prepared ‌to litigate the defense motions. Mangione’s defense lawyers declined to comment.

Mangione entered his guilty plea in the federal case without reaching an agreement with prosecutors, and there was ​no guarantee that his acceptance of responsibility would result in leniency at sentencing.

Sentencing is due in the federal case on 18 December. Federal prosecutors said on Friday that they intend to seek a life sentence, the maximum allowable.

In the state case, Mangione would face 25 years to life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder.

If Carro decides to dismiss the state ⁠case, it would eliminate the possibility of Mangione having to serve consecutive prison sentences in the ​two cases.

Bennett Gershman, a law professor ​at Pace University in New York, said it ​was unlikely Carro would dismiss the case on double jeopardy grounds.

New York state’s double jeopardy law ​carves out exceptions for crimes ‌that have different elements ​or are aimed at preventing “very ​different kinds of harm or evil”.

The federal stalking charges to which Mangione pleaded guilty to still require intent to kill but do not require that the death occurs.

“The elements in stalking and the elements of murder are very, very distinguishable,” Gershman said.

Reuters contributed reporting

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.