Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Michael Howie

London footballer reveals 'split-second' decision that saved his life during knife rampage on train

Jonathan Gjoshe - (Sculthorpe United)

A professional footballer has spoken publicly for the first time about a horrific knife attack on a train which saw him stabbed seven times.

Jonathan Gjoshe, 23, had been travelling from Doncaster back to his home in London when the horror attack unfolded.

Gjoshe, who was playing for Scunthorpe United, was among 11 passengers seriously injured on the train on November 1 last year.

In his first interview about the harrowing events of that day, the defender told the BBC how a "spit-second" decision saved his life.

"I was on the train, just chilling. Suddenly, someone's come over my shoulder, and stabbed me," he said.

Gjoshe added: "I remember jumping over the table, jumping over the chairs. I was just running down the corridor, telling people, 'there's a guy with a knife, run, I've been stabbed, run, run, run'. I was screaming. I think I was the first person that got stabbed. I felt the pain. But adrenaline kicked in."

He said some people on the train "thought it was a joke at first", happening a day after Halloween.

"Some people ran, some just sat there, but I thought he was coming for me.

"That split second, me jumping over the table, saved me. All I thought about was just running for my life, getting off that train. As I got down to the first or second carriage, I pulled the alarm, and was just drenched with blood."

Police on the platform by the train at Huntingdon station following the knife attack on November 1, 2025 (PA Wire)

He added: "I was thinking I wasn't going to see my family again, if I died, and that was the main worry for me.

"Normally I would drive back down to London. That was the first time I got on a train to go back. What's the chance of that happening? It's crazy."

Gjoshe was rushed to hospital by paramedics after the train made an emergency stop at Huntingdon.

He underwent surgery after sustaining seven wounds to his bicep, shoulder and arm.

After being released from hospital, he faced months of rehab and only returned to full training in March.

Earlier this month he suffered the disappointment of being released by the club.

"Obviously [with] everything I've been through, I missed half a season… I didn't get that chance that I wanted", he told the BBC. "I was hoping they'd give me another year to prove that. But unfortunately, I didn't get that. It's quite disappointing."

Anthony Williams, 32, is charged with 10 counts of attempted murder after the stabbings on the LNER train from Doncaster to London.

He had been due to stand trial from June 22 at Cambridge Crown Court, but this has been pushed back to October 26 as further reports are awaited.

Williams, who said at an earlier hearing at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court that he is of no fixed abode, is also charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm over an alleged attack on a male police officer in custody.

He is also charged with possession of a bladed article on November 1.

Separately, Williams is charged with one count of attempted murder and possession of a bladed article over an incident at Pontoon Dock DLR station in London in the early hours of November 1, where a victim suffered facial injuries after being attacked with a knife.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.