Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Entertainment
Ekin Karasin

Josh Widdicombe drops major Strictly hint after 'being offered hosting job alongside Emma Willis'

Josh Widdicombe has appeared to drop a series of telling hints about his reported new role as co-host of Strictly Come Dancing.

The comedian, 43, was reportedly offered the coveted BBC job alongside Emma Willis after impressing bosses with his “deadpan wit” during the gruelling audition process.

He seemed to lean into the rumours by discussing Strictly during the last comedy show on his Not My Cup Of Tea tour in London on Friday.

“I have started doing old people's TV shows and attracting older audiences,” he said, while referencing his previous appearance in the Strictly Christmas Special in 2024.

”If I was to sum up the age I have reached - I did the Strictly Christmas special two years ago.

“I had the worst day of my career. We all had to get up and do a group dance. All the big celebs were there - me, Nitro from Gladiators. All the biggies.”

Josh Widdicombe seemed to hint at his reported Strictly job (Getty Images for Bauer)

The Mock The Week star went on: “We all started dancing and I realised I was the worst dancer. This wasn't meant to happen.

“When I signed up I knew I would be fine because I know how Strictly works. There's always a s*** middle-aged bloke that makes everyone else look good.

“I was like, ‘Oh f***. I am the s*** middle-aged guy. I am Adrian Chiles, je suis Jeremy Vine, that is who I am.’”

A day later, Widdicome shared a lengthy post announcing to fans that his comedy tour was over - seemingly hinting that his schedule is now clear for Strictly.

“Tour done! 78 dates since September! So many incredible memories,” he penned on Instagram.

“Thank you so much to everyone for coming, have genuinely never enjoyed a tour so much, sad it is over. Kind of.

“Thank you to my brilliant supports @danecomedian @linzsantoro @chantelnashdoesfunnies @louiseyoungcomedy Thanks to everyone at the peerless @offthekerbcomedy for telling me where to go and when and for keeping me sane.

“Mostly thanks to @penrosetilbury for doing more childcare than is fair. Time to write some new jokes. PS Have three catch up gigs in September we couldn’t fit in but let me have my moment.”

Over the weekend, it was claimed Widdicombe has been offered the Strictly hosting role.

He is reportedly being lined up to replace Claudia Winkleman’s humour on the show, while Willis is seen as the “sensible” Tess Daly of the duo.

“He entered the running a little later than the others, but he nailed the chemistry tests,” a source told The Sun.

“Josh is so good at live TV thanks to co-hosting The Last Leg on Channel 4 and he’s also quick-witted, kooky, awkward and funny.

“He can bring the comedy they need like Claudia Winkleman did in the ‘Claudatorium’ while Emma is seen as the sensible one, like Tess Daly. The BBC have told Josh he’s the man they want for the job.”

The BBC said: “Plans for Strictly 2026 will be confirmed in due course.”

Widdicombe is best known for his appearances on The Last Leg, Fighting Talk, Mock the Week and his BBC Three sitcom Josh.

He is apparently being lined up to co-host alongside Emma Willis (Getty)

He also won the first series of Taskmaster in 2015 and the show's first Champion of Champions special in 2017.

Professional dancer Johannes Radebe is also being lined up to slot in alongside Willis and Widdecombe as a “roving reporter” to provide coverage behind the scenes, The Sun reported.

Earlier this month, Zoe Ball admitted she didn’t get the role and shared her feelings of “grief and rejection” over the loss.

“I didn't get it, but it's OK,” she said on her Dig It podcast with Jo Whiley.

Ball - who left her Radio 2 job in 2025 - went on: “I have worked through the seven stages of grief and rejection over the last couple of days.

“No, I didn't get it, but I tell you, what, if who I think has got it, we're in safe hands and our new hosts are going to be fabulous. I'm so thrilled for them, and hopefully at a later date, we'll be able to talk about them in more detail.”

Winkleman and Daly announced that they would step down from Strictly last year after 21 years in an emotional joint statement.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.