Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Economic Times
The Economic Times

ISIS second in command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki eliminated: Trump

United States President Donald Trump ‌said ⁠on Friday ⁠that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command ⁠of ‌ISIS globally, had been ⁠eliminated in an operation conducted by ‌US and Nigerian forces.

"Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield. Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing," said Trump in a post on Truth Social.

"He will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans," Trump said. "With his removal, ISIS's global operation is greatly diminished."

Nigeria had earlier come under scrutiny from Trump ⁠who had said that Christians there were being persecuted, which the African nation's government denies.

The US had struck what it said were Islamist bases in northwestern Nigeria on Christmas Day last year, following Trump's accusations.

Al-Minuki had been placed under US sanctions in 2023 for ties to the Islamic State group, which maintains a major presence in parts of West Africa.

Trump thanked the government of Nigeria for their "partnership" on the operation.

Nigerian forces are battling militancy, including regional offshoots of the IS organisation as well as Islamist rival Boko Haram. It has also carried out strikes and operations against non-ideological violent gangs known as "bandits".

Since late 2025, the Nigerian government has been under pressure from the United States, which has accused it of not doing enough to combat the Islamist militant threat.

On Christmas Day, the United States, in collaboration with Nigerian authorities, carried out airstrikes in northwestern Sokoto State targeting fighters from the Islamic State in the Sahel (ISSP), usually active in neighbouring Niger.

Washington has since deployed hundreds of troops to Nigeria to support and train its forces.

Trump did not provide details on the form of attack that killed al-Minuki, whether US forces had carried out air strikes or where the militant leader had been targeted.

The US State Department, when announcing al-Minuki's designation on the American government list of "global terrorists" in 2023, called him a Sahel-based IS senior leader and part of its General Directorate of Provinces, the group's administrative body that provides "operational guidance and funding around the world."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.