
Former abbot Phra Phrom Sitthi of Wat Sa Ket is more depressed than the other former senior monks being detained for alleged temple fund fraud, the Bangkok Remand Prison chief said on Thursday.
Governor Krit Krasaethip said Thongchai Sukkho, also a former member of the Sangha Supreme Council, appeared more stressed than the others since his surrender to police on Wednesday and admission to prison. His condition was being closely monitored.
A physical examination found the 60-year-old man suffered from muscle weakness and allergies. He was being given boiled rice, the same food given to other inmates, and was being attended to by a psychiatrist, Mr Krit said.
He had asked only for drinking water since arriving at the prison late on Wednesday, the governor said. Mr Thongchai was in cell number 13, and shared it with about 10 other inmates.
He was previously temple abbot and also the 10th ecclesiastical region governor and a member of the Sangha Supreme Council.
He is a suspect in the alleged embezzlement of 63.7 million baht of government funds allocated for the development of Buddhism and promotion of morality at the temple. Police investigators estimated more than 150 million baht in total was misappropriated from state funds allocated to Wat Sa Ket.
Mr Thongchai surrendered to police on Wednesday after slipping the net when police raided three Bangkok temples and apprehended five senior monks for alleged embezzlement and money laundering. A seventh senior monk is also being sought.
Like the other former senior monks, Mr Thongchai's request for bail was rejected by the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases, and he was expelled from the monkhood.
Senior officials of the National Office of Buddhism are also being investigated for alleged involvement in the massive fraud. They allegedly demanded kickbacks from the monks at the temples in return for approving development project funding. No details of their cases have been released.