Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
International Business Times
International Business Times
Politics
Demian Bio

Gulf Leaders Reportedly Asked Trump To Hold Off On Attacks Against Iran For 'Two Or Three Days'

Trump said on Monday he was holding off on launching renewed attacks against Iran as "serious negotiations" were taking place.

Gulf leaders asked President Donald Trump to hold off on renewing attacks against Iran for "two or three days" to give more time for negotiations, according to a new report.

Axios detailed that the request, made by the leaders of the UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, was a result of concerns about having their infrastructure targeted by Iran if new strikes took place.

A source with knowledge with the matter said Trump told allies that the Gulf leaders said they didn't "want their oil and energy facilities blown up" by Iranian retaliation.

Trump said in a social media publication on Monday that he was calling off attacks scheduled for Tuesday as "serious negotiations" were taking place.

In the opinion of the Gulf leaders, Trump added, "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond."

"This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached," Trump added.

The developments follow a report on Monday where a senior U.S. official told Axios that Iran's response to the U.S.'s proposal to end the war was likely insufficient for a deal, hinting at a potential renewal of hostilities.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei had said earlier on Monday that the country gave its response to Pakistan, but clarified the country will not cede on uranium enrichment rights.

"What can be said with certainty is, first of all, that rights are not something we are to negotiate or compromise over," the official said. "There is no need for another party to recognize this right for Iran. This right already exists," he added.

The U.S. official claimed that the response only had token improvements. It has more on the country's commitment not to pursue a nuclear weapon, but no detail measures about suspending uranium enrichment or handing over its existent stockpile.

"We are really not making a lot of progress. We are at a very serious place today. The pressure is on them to be responsive in the right way," the official told the outlet.

"It's time for the Iranians to throw bit of candy out. We need some real, sturdy, and granular conversation" about the nuclear program, the official added. "If that's not gonna happen, we will have a conversation through bombs, which will be a shame."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.