A man accused in a rape case in Ghaziabad is now facing another FIR after videos of his celebratory release from Dasna jail went viral online.
According to a report by The Times of India, Sushil Prajapati, 35, was seen being welcomed with flowers, drums and a convoy after getting bail earlier this week. Prajapati, who is facing trial in a rape case, had spent around eight months in jail before securing bail. He has not been acquitted in the case.
Police took suo motu cognisance of the videos circulating on social media and registered a fresh FIR over the celebrations outside the jail and on nearby roads.
Why was a new FIR filed against the Ghaziabad rape accused?
A complaint submitted by sub-inspector Pradeep Kumar alleged that Prajapati and his associates blocked the road outside Dasna jail for nearly 30 minutes, causing inconvenience to commuters.
The complaint also stated that the group drove recklessly in a convoy towards Muradnagar through the Delhi-Meerut Expressway, allegedly covering around 12 kilometres while endangering public safety. Firecrackers were also burst outside Prajapati’s home after he returned.
DCP (rural) Surendra Nath Tiwari told TOI that a fresh FIR had been registered under BNS sections related to rash driving and obstruction in a public way. He added that police teams were working to identify those involved in the celebration.
What do the viral videos from Dasna jail show?
The videos circulating online reportedly show a group of men showering Prajapati with flowers and carrying him on their shoulders from the jail gates to the main road.
A senior police officer told TOI that the celebration appeared to have been organised by the accused’s friends. Police are now examining how many vehicles were part of the convoy, which route they took, and how long traffic movement was affected.
The visuals quickly spread online and triggered criticism over the public celebration surrounding an accused person who is currently facing trial in a rape case.
What are the allegations against Sushil Prajapati?
According to the FIR details cited by TOI, Prajapati has been charged under multiple BNS sections, including rape, criminal intimidation, causing hurt by poison with intent to commit an offence, disclosure of victim identity, and harbouring an offender.
The survivor, a 25-year-old LLB student, alleged in her complaint that she first met Prajapati in November 2021 and remained in contact with him over the following years.
She claimed that on August 6 last year, Prajapati called her saying an advocate wanted to meet her regarding legal work opportunities in Ghaziabad. She travelled from Meerut to Muradnagar, where he allegedly picked her up in a black Thar and took her to a flat in Metro Homes Society.
The woman alleged that after consuming a cold drink offered to her there, she started feeling drowsy. She accused Prajapati of raping her and threatening her with harm if she spoke about the incident.
TOI reported that police registered an FIR after a medical examination confirmed rape. Prajapati was arrested on August 11 last year and remanded to judicial custody.
(With TOI inputs)