Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The National (Scotland)
The National (Scotland)
National
Lucy Jackson

Foreign Office slated for 'appalling lack of action' after Israel kidnaps UK citizens

Dr Antonis Vradis (left) and Hughie Stirling (right) both took part in the Global Sumud Flotilla (Image: NQ)

THE Foreign Office has been slated for its "lack of action" to secure the safe release of UK activists who were kidnapped by Israel while taking part in a flotilla to Gaza.

A total of 15 UK citizens were on the Global Sumud Flotilla, a major humanitarian mission sailing to Gaza with the aim of delivering much-needed aid.

On Monday, Israeli forces began intercepting the flotilla in international waters – where Israel has no jurisdiction – with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu commending his soldiers for "thwarting" the aid mission.

The whereabouts of the activists are unknown, although it is understood they are being taken to the Israeli port of Ashdod. They will then likely be held in jail for a number of days before eventually being deported.

Two people from Scotland are among those to have been kidnapped by Israel – Hughie Stirling, a 68-year-old activist from Ullapool, and Dr Antonis Vradis, a staff member at the University of St Andrews.

Hughie Stirling is taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla
Hughie Stirling was taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla (Image: Supplied)
Dr Antonis Vradis was sailing on the Global Sumud Flotilla (Image: Courtesy of St Andrews University)

The sister of Irish president Catherine Connolly is also among those to have been kidnapped.

The Foreign Office declined to provide a comment when approached by The National on Monday, and did not provide a statement when asked again on Tuesday.

It is understood officials are offering consular support to families affected, but concerns have been raised that too little is being done to secure the release of the UK participants.

Caroline, the partner of Scottish activist Stirling, who is in contact with the Foreign Office, said that while officials had been "kind", they "sounded like they were talking from a script".

"They seem to get more information from us than they are able to give back", she told The National, adding that officials had no knowledge of where the activists might have been taken.

It is understood that officials had been in contact with the Cypriot coastguard, given the flotilla was intercepted just 40 nautical miles west of Cyprus, but were not aware of reports the activists may be taken to Ashdod port – despite this being the case in previous flotilla missions.

Meanwhile, Scottish Greens Highlands and Islands MSP Ariane Burgess – who represents the region where Stirling is based – has written to the Foreign Office urging them to take all necessary steps to secure his safe release.

"Whatever your views of the flotilla’s mission, British citizens are entitled to the protection and support of their government when they are detained overseas," she wrote.

"Reports that civilians have been intercepted in international waters should raise serious concerns under international law and I am asking for an urgent response from the UK Government."

Burgess continued: "I am writing to urge you to take all necessary steps to establish Hughie Stirling’s whereabouts and condition, ensure he has immediate access to legal representation and consular support, and make representations to the Israeli authorities to secure his safe release.

"It is also vital that all British nationals detained in connection with these missions receive the full protection and assistance to which they are entitled."

Burgess added: "At a time of profound concern for Hughie’s loved ones and his community in Ullapool, I hope the UK Government will act swiftly and decisively to safeguard his welfare and secure his safe return."

A spokesperson of the UK delegation of the Global Sumud Flotilla said: "We are appalled by the lack of action from the UK Government following the interception of humanitarian aid boats carrying peaceful civilian activists in the Eastern Mediterranean.

"These vessels were attempting to deliver aid and raise awareness of the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza.

"They were intercepted in international waters contrary to maritime and international humanitarian law, including protections under the Geneva Conventions and Rome Statute. Distress calls from boats were ignored even thought they were within the Cypriot safety and rescue zone."

The spokesperson said the "silence" of the Foreign Office "leaves international law in tatters".

"If international law is only defended selectively, it ceases to have any meaning at all," they added.

In a plea to readers of The National, they added: "We call on all your readers to demand that the whereabouts of those kidnapped is made known; that those still sailing are given safe passage to Gaza to deliver aid from their boats and then depart; that international law is fully observed."

The Foreign Office has been again contacted for comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.