Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
Eamon Doggett & Kim O'Leary

Football supporters throw flares and brawl during FAI Cup final in Dublin

Gardai rushed to the Aviva Stadium this evening after football fans threw flares and groups became involved in fights during the FAI Cup final.

The match between Shelbourne and Derry City kicked off at 3pm in the Aviva Stadium, but videos circulating on social media have shown several Shelbourne fans being ejected after fighting with one another and with Gardai and security.

Some supports also hurled flares towards the pitch, narrowly missing players. A garda spokeswoman confirmed to Dublin Live that eight men were arrested at the Aviva Stadium following the chaotic scenes.

Read more: Swimmer dies after getting into difficulty at Bray Beach

Derry City would eventually go on to win the match and claim the FAI Cup with a score of 4-0.

Earlier, there were ugly scenes as footage captured Shelbourne and Derry City fans throwing flares and objects at each other across the street outside the Aviva Stadium before the match started. A video taken outside The Irishtown House shows groups of football fans chanting and marching up Irishtown Road with flares.

In the video, one person can be seen running into the group with fists flying before others joined in and began throwing objects towards the crowd. A flare is also seen hitting a Garda van, with tensions appearing to boil over between sections of the supporters.

A garda spokeswoman told Dublin Live: "Gardaí in Donnybrook dealt with a small number of incidents today, Sunday 13th November, 2022 at the Aviva stadium. A total of 8 males were arrested, 7 of which were arrested for Public Order offences and were dealt with by adult caution.

"One male was arrested in relation to an offence under Section 68 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2006 and has been charged and will appear before Court at a later date."

Last month footage showed Gents fans clashing with gardai before a Shamrock Rovers game in Dublin city centre.

A similar incident occurred in the buildup to last year's FAI Cup final when a group of St Patrick's Athletic fans were attacked in Ringsend.


Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.