Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Amelia Neath

Flight forced to divert after US denies entry to Congolese passenger over Ebloa fears

The passenger was sent back to Paris, while the flight carried on to Detroit after landing in Montreal - (Getty Images)

A plane headed for Detroit was diverted to Canada after US border authorities denied entry to a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) due to Ebola-related restrictions.

Air France flight 378 departed Paris, France, on the afternoon of Wednesday 20 May for an eight-hour journey to Detroit, Michigan, when the plane unexpectedly diverted to Montreal in Canada.

The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) discovered that a passenger from the DRC was on the flight and prohibited the plane landing in Detroit.

The US has issued temporary measures denying entry to travellers who have been in the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan within the past 21 days as concerns rise over a new Ebola outbreak in central Africa.

The restrictions do not apply to US passport holders.

While the passenger is a citizen of the DRC, it is unclear if they had been in the country within the past few weeks.

“Air France boarded a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo in error on a flight to the United States,” a CBP spokesperson told The Independent.

“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane.

“CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveller from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada.

“CBP, in coordination with CDC, is taking the necessary measures to protect public health and reduce the risk of Ebola disease introduction into the United States.”

Air France said in a statement that it diverted the flight to Montreal at the request of US authorities “after a Congolese passenger on board was denied entry into the United States”.

It added: “There was no medical emergency on board, and like all airlines, Air France is required to comply with the entry requirements of the countries it serves."

The Public Health Agency of Canada told Canada’s national broadcaster CBC that a passenger who disembarked at Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau airport was assessed by a quarantine officer and flew back to Paris.

Health officials determined the passenger was asymptomatic, the spokesperson added.

The rest of the passengers were flown from the Canadian city to Detroit aboard the same aircraft.

The Independent has contacted the Public Health Agency of Canada for comment.

Read more: US bans travellers from three African countries amid deadly Ebola outbreak

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.