Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Alastair Lockhart and Michael Howie

Five jailed for murder of man, 21, chased down and brutally stabbed in south London

Five men have been jailed for the murder of a 21-year-old who was chased down and stabbed to death in south London.

Giovanny Rendon Bedoya was viciously attacked on a residential street in Walworth in April last year.

Mr Bedoya, who lived locally, was found with multiple stab wounds following reports of a group fighting with knives near to Hillingdon Street and Langdale Close. He was treated by the London Ambulance Service before he was pronounced dead at the scene.

An investigation found Mr Bedoya was chased through an alleyway before being cornered and attacked by his knife-wielding killers.

The men were sentenced over the killing at the Old Bailey on Wednesday after being convicted of murder on April 14 after an 11-week trial.

Met Police detectives reviewed over 1,500 hours of CCTV footage to connects the five men to Mr Bedoya’s murder.

Joseph Jimenez, 22, of no fixed address, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 22 years. Angel Gonzalez Angulo, 19, of Camberwell Church Street, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 21 years.

Bryan Villada Hernandez, 20, of Langdale Close, was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 21 years. Zozoro Mohamed Olivier Boizo, 21, of Lorrimore Square, was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 21 years and Christian Batista Gonzalez, 22, of Moyers Road, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 22 years.

Detective Chief Inspector Kate Blackburn, who led the Met’s investigation, said the sentences “show that those who commit vicious and brutal attacks will face significant, life-altering consequences”.

She added: “The group acted together during a sustained and extremely violent attack, chasing and killing Giovanny, showing brutality and reckless violence.

“Our thoughts remain with Giovanny’s family and friends, who have shown immense courage and dignity throughout. I hope they can find some sort of peace following the conclusion of the trial.

Killers (l-r): Bryan Hernandez, Christian Gonzales, Joseph Jimenez, Angel Angulo and Zozoro Boizo (Met Police)
Killers (l-r): Bryan Hernandez, Christian Gonzales, Joseph Jimenez, Angel Angulo and Zozoro Boizo (Met Police)

“This was a complex case, and I would like to thank the community of Walworth who supported our investigation and provided us with a timeline of what had happened that night. The group acted with no thought to what others would see or hear and I am truly grateful for all those who came forward and gave their harrowing accounts.

“The Met remains committed to taking the most dangerous offenders off the streets to keep London safe.”

Giovanny’s mother said in a victim impact statement: “I want the world to know that my son was innocent. He had no part in any of the earlier events that evening. He was not fighting with anyone. He came out of his address and within seconds, was met with violence. He was not carrying a weapon. He did not go out to harm anyone. The five people guilty for his murder however intended to do just that, and for whatever reason they chose my son, they took away his life in the most brutal of ways.

“My son was killed in a country that I do not know, and I do not speak the language of. This put me in an extremely vulnerable position as I have had no choice but to rely on other people this entire last year. Every time my phone has rung from an overseas number, my heart skipped a beat and I would answer tentatively, in fear of hearing more bad news.

“I thank God and the whole police team who have put their heart and soul in the case of my son. I am grateful for all of the support from my liaison officer. My life will not be long enough for me to be able to thank you.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.