The first Brit to be killed while fighting in Ukraine died after being hit by a mortar, an inquest heard.
Scott Sibley, 36, was officially declared dead on April 22, little more than a month after he had entered the conflict.
The dad, who previously served in the British Army, was killed as he took cover from Russian shelling, Oxford Coroner's Court heard.
The HGV driver's cause of death was listed as "penetrative fragment injuries" to his chest and abdomen.
Senior coroner Darren Salter said: "Often it is the case that the information might not be 100 per cent accurate, as there has not been the time to collect all of the evidence.
"There is a statement from David Freeman, our coroner's officer, which reads: 'Scott Edward Sibley was a 36-year-old divorced male from Grimsby, Lincolnshire - of 42 St Denys Close, Lincolnshire. On April 22 this year he died in Lymany in the Mykolaiv region of Ukraine.
"His death was verified by Dr R V Gerasimov. Mr Sibley travelled to Ukraine on March 13 this year and joined the Ukrainian armed forces as an HGV driver. He sustained injuries during a shelling attack."
The inquest heard that Mr Sibley's cause of death was listed as penetrative fragment injuries to his chest and abdomen. However the coroner said: "The full post-mortem examination report is yet to be received."
Mr Salter continued: "Mr Sibley was identified by his dental records on May 25 at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford. The details of this 36-year-old was that he was a former petroleum operator for the British Army. He joined the Ukraine army and was deployed to the Foreign Nationals.
"Mr Sibley volunteered for a task and spent three days in a foxhole. On the third day a new team arrived to replace his position but the foxhole came under attack. Shelling started and a shell landed beside the foxhole.
Want all the latest news and analysis from Ukraine? Sign up to our World News Bulletin here
"Mr Sibley then moved to the next foxhole when a mortar struck him, causing him fatal injuries."
The coroner explained that Mr Sibley's body was returned to the UK following his death in Ukraine as a result of him being struck by a mortar.
His identity was confirmed by dental records and was supported by a distinct tattoo.
Concluding the opening inquest today, the coroner adjourned the full hearing until November 15.