Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Joe Middleton and Jabed Ahmed

Conor McGregor loses appeal over civil rape case

Conor McGregor has lost his appeal of a civil jury’s finding in favour of a woman who had accused him of rape.

The MMA fighter lost his appeal on all five grounds that the case was taken.

The woman successfully sued McGregor in a civil court over an incident in which he was alleged to have “brutally raped and battered” her in a penthouse at a south Dublin hotel in December 2018.

The jury found that McGregor, who told the court he had consensual sex with the woman, was civilly liable for assault.

The woman was awarded 248,603.60 euro in damages and McGregor was also ordered to pay about 1.3 million euro in legal costs following November’s trial.

McGregor then launched an appeal on the basis of five grounds.

Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor outside the High Court in Dublin (PA) (PA Archive)

Among the grounds was fresh evidence following an affidavit from a former neighbour of the woman who said she had witnessed a physical row between her and her then-partner at about the same time of the incident at the Beacon hotel.

Earlier this month, McGregor’s legal team dramatically withdrew that ground of appeal, saying it would no longer be relying on the material.

McGregor’s appeal proceeded on other grounds, largely relating to the circumstances under which his “no comment” answers to gardai were allowed to enter the trial.

Meanwhile, McGregor’s co-defendant has also lost his appeal against the trial judge’s decision not to award him his legal costs.

During the same trial in November, the jury did not find James Lawrence had assaulted the woman at the hotel.

However, the trial judge decided that she would not have to pay Mr Lawrence’s costs.

His legal team challenged whether that decision was correct and reasonable, arguing that the woman should have to pay as the jury did not find he had assaulted her.

(Brian Lawless/PA Wire)

Delivering their judgment on Thursday, the three judges of the court – Ms Justice Isobel Kennedy, Mr Justice Brian O’Moore and Mr Justice Patrick MacGrath – agreed to dismiss both appeals in their entirety.

Reading out the judgment on behalf of the three-judge panel, Mr Justice O’Moore summarised the grounds for appeal before explaining the Court of Appeal’s reasons for dismissing all five grounds.

“I therefore dismiss the appeal in its entirety,” he said.

Speaking outside court, the woman said: “To every survivor out there, I know how hard it is but please don’t be silenced … You deserve to be heard, you also deserve justice. Today, I can finally move on and try to heal.”

Neither McGregor nor Mr Lawrence were present in court.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.