Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Entertainment
Niva Yadav and Nicholas Cecil

Police investigation into Married At First Sight alleged rapes 'highly likely,' says Home Office minister

Channel 4 said all previous seasons of MAFS UK have been removed from its streaming and linear services (PA) - (PA Archive)

Married at First Sight UK likely faces a police probe after two women alleged they were raped by their on-screen husbands, a minister has said.

Security Minister Dan Jarvis said he was “extremely concerned”by the allegations, adding: 'I think it's highly likely that there will be a referral to the police and it will be a police matter for them to investigate.”

Channel 4 is reportedly holding crisis talks over the bombshell claims disclosed in a BBC Panorama Investigation, which aired on Monday.

A third woman has also alleged that she faced sexual misconduct from her husband while filming the Channel 4 social experiment.

The broadcaster’s bosses have since been locked in talks following the allegations, the Mail reported.

Multiple departments are said to be holding discussions, while the independent production company for MAFS, CPL Productions, reportedly instructed staff via email not to speak out following the Panorama investigation.

Mr Jarvis said Channel 4 and CPL have a “hugely important responsibility” to “look very carefully” at the allegations and make sure they are fully investigated.

A letter seen by the Mail urged staff not to speak with journalists and warned against identifying any of the accused males on the show.

It read: “Please be mindful of commenting publicly or privately. It is prudent not to speculate about anything that is reported or commented on especially on social media, or to name any cast member in any posts as there may be legal reasons preventing anyone from doing so.

“Please be aware that anything you say or post may be picked up and shared on social media or used in the press now or at a later date.”

An email has also been set up for employees to contact.

The Standard has contacted CPL for comment.

The broadcaster has also removed all episodes of the long-running series from its streaming service.

The 10-series show, which uses the format of its Australian counterpart, sees strangers embark on marriage-like relationships with one another, meeting minutes before a mock "wedding ceremony.”

Cameras then follow the couples around as they go on fake “honeymoons” and move in together.

Following BBC’s investigation, Channel 4 said the allegations were "wholly uncorroborated and disputed" and said it had been presented with the “serious allegations” in April.

It added that “prompt and appropriate action was taken,” including commissioning an external review of welfare on the show.

“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary,” it said.

Lawyers for CPL, the independent production company that makes the UK version of the show for Channel 4, told the BBC that its welfare protocols for contributors were “gold standard” and that it acted appropriately in all these cases.

In the Panorama report, one woman claimed she had been raped by her onscreen “husband” and had been threatened with an acid attack.

She alleged that he was violent and said if she told “anybody what happened, that he would get someone to throw acid on me.”

The man in question has denied allegations of rape.

CPL’s lawyers responded that the acid-throwing comment had been reported as a passing comment, not a threat, and that action was taken once the woman reported feeling unsafe.

Lawyers added that they had not been told about the woman not being able to “say no” to the man.

The second woman told the BBC that Channel 4 and CPL had been informed about being allegedly raped by her onscreen husband.

However, the episodes continued to be aired.

Lawyers for the production company said welfare protocols had been followed and prior to the allegation, the woman had said all sexual activity was consensual.

The third woman accused her onscreen husband of sexual misconduct.

The BBC has not disclosed when and where the alleged attacks took place.

Channel 4’s recently appointed CEO, Priya Dogra, said: “It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.”

She added it was important to preserve the anonymity and privacy of those involved.

A Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport spokesperson told the BBC that the allegations were "serious", and that "everyone working and participating in television must be treated with dignity and respect at all times.

"All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full co-operation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.