The federal government is giving the ACT $6.7 million to help make some of its most crash-prone roads safer, out of $150 million being allocated across Australia.
Some of Canberra's most notorious intersections are among 17 projects to be funded in 2026-27 through the national black spot program, revealed on Wednesday.
The largest amount will be spent on the intersection of Hindmarsh Drive and Yamba Drive in Garran, with $1 million to improve visibility of the traffic signals by installing mast arms, widen the road and correct the angles of the slip lanes and declaration lanes.
Minister for Regional Development, Local Government and Territories Kristy McBain said the "incredibly busy" intersection near the Canberra Hospital was prone to minor crashes.
The intersection of Manning Clarke Cres, Anthony Rolfe Ave and Eva West St in Gungahlin will get $120,000 for signage, speed bumps and line markings.
Locals have raised concerns about motorists driving at speed through a give way sign, with some drivers seeming to mistake the intersection for a roundabout.
Cowper Street in Dickson and Ainslie will get $225,180 for similar improvements and the speed limit will be reduced from 60km an hour to 50km an hour.
A Canberra Times analysis of data from the ACT Road Crash database last month revealed that Gungahlin had overtaken the city as the suburb with the highest number of recorded crashes, with more than 3000 recorded since 2015.
Gungahlin's Efkarpidis Street and Hinder Street intersection, prone to right-angle collisions and drivers not giving way, will get $134,300 for speed bumps, new line markings and improvements to make it safer for pedestrians to cross.
The locations for the black spots funding were selected by a panel chaired by Canberra MP Alicia Payne after being nominated by community members and road user groups.
"It was their expert advice in identifying projects that would have the greatest impact on road safety that made this announcement possible," Ms Payne said.
The intersection of David Street, Macarthur Ave and Wattle Street in Lyneham will get $677,625 to improve visibility of traffic signals and upgrade lighting and path connectivity.
Other projects to be funded in 2026-26 include a section of Hindmarsh Drive in Waramanga with $817,800, the Arthur Circle and Monaro Crescent intersection in Forrest with $611,600 and the Stuart Street and Barrallier Street intersection in Griffith with $549,000.
There's $152,761 for line marking and signage at the intersection of Canberra Ave, Dawes Street and Lockyer Street in Kingston, and a number of other projects across the ACT.
Ms Payne said the funding would "make a real and tangible difference to road safety in the ACT."
"We hope that this will help to prevent accidents," she said on Wednesday.
"It is a really important program around those relatively minor improvements to intersections or dangerous spots around the roads, which have been suggested by the community."
Ms McBain said the black spot program was for "low-cost improvements that have demonstrated effectiveness in reducing the risk of serious crashes and fatalities on our roads."
The minister said the Albanese government would "continue to invest in the ACT" with further amounts for road improvements to be funded through the regional roads to recovery program.
"One of the crucial parts about this program is actually making sure that we're dealing with the data that's in front of us [and] taking advice from [the] community about where these accidents are happening," she said.
"I encourage individuals, organisations and local governments to nominate sites in their local communities for consideration in the next funding round."
Anyone can nominate a black spot for consideration online.