Müller is recalling Cadbury-branded desserts over fears they could be contaminated with listeria. The company wants people to return some batches of a number of puddings as they may contain the sickness-causing bacteria.
An official alert has been issued by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). The agency said: "Müller has taken the precautionary step of recalling some batches of various Cadbury branded dessert products because of the possible presence of Listeria monocytogenes."
The NHS says listeria can trigger a rare infection called listeriosis. "You can get it from lots of types of food, but it's mainly a problem with chilled, ready-to-eat foods," says the health service.
The FSA said: "Symptoms caused by this organism can be similar to flu and include high temperature, muscle ache or pain, chills, feeling or being sick and diarrhoea. Some people are more vulnerable to listeria infections, including those over 65 years of age, pregnant women and their unborn babies, babies less than one month old and people with weakened immune systems."
The products are produced by Müller under licence from Cadbury's owner Mondelez International. The batches being recalled are:
- Cadbury Daim Chocolate Dessert, pack size 75g, use by date May 18, 2023
- Cadbury Crunchie Chocolate Dessert, pack size 75g, use by date May 17, 2023
- Cadbury Flake Chocolate Dessert, pack size 75g, use by date May 17, 2023
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Buttons Chocolate Dessert, pack size 75g, use by date May 18, 2023
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunks Chocolate Dessert, pack size 75g, use by date May 18, 2023
- Cadbury Heroes Chocolate Dessert (six pack), pack size 6 x 75g, use by date May 18, 2023
The FSA added: "Müller is recalling the above products and has issued point-of-sale notices to their customers. These notices explain to customers why the products are being recalled and tell them what to do if they have bought the products.
"If you have bought any of the above products do not eat them. Instead, return them to the store from where they were bought for a full refund (with or without a receipt). For more information contact Müller on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07354 835 893."