Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dot Esports
Dot Esports
Jeremiah Sevilla

Bungie is reportedly planning layoffs following final Destiny 2 update announcement

Bungie is reportedly preparing a round of layoffs as development on Destiny 2 is set to shut down following the announcement of the game’s final content update set for release in June.

According to a report by Jason Schreier of Bloomberg, Bungie is planning a “significant number” of layoffs tied to the final Destiny 2 update, with no new project lined up for much of the development team once the last update launches next month.

Sources told Schreier that Bungie does not plan to immediately move into production on a sequel Destiny 3 title, although developers inside the company are still pitching ideas for future projects. No projects have reportedly been approved so far, and the exact number of potential layoffs remains unknown.

Destiny 2 Moments of Triumph graphic
Closing chapter for the online shooter. Image via Bungie

The report surfaced just hours after Bungie officially announced Monument of Triumph (formerly known as Shadow and Order) as the final content update for the online looter shooter. The free update launches on June 9 and marks the end of nearly a decade of ongoing expansions, seasonal stories, and live-service support.

In a blog post published on May 21, Bungie acknowledged that the studio is moving into a new phase. “While our love for Destiny 2 has not changed, it has become clear that after The Final Shape, we have reached the time for our shared worlds, and Destiny, to live beyond Destiny 2,” Bungie wrote.

Monument of Triumph includes several long-requested additions from the community, including an overhauled Director interface and revised destinations, alongside a new Distortions system that introduces extra challenges during planetary exploration.

Despite the scale of the update, the announcement has largely been viewed as the closing chapter of Destiny 2’s lifecycle. The game has struggled to maintain momentum following The Edge of Fate expansion, which received mixed feedback due to sweeping gameplay changes, including the controversial Portal system.

Pinnacle Ops loot in Destiny 2 Renegades
Destiny 2 has been on a decline for quite some time. Image via Bungie

Later updates, such as Ash & Iron, also failed to boost engagement. Even the Star Wars-inspired Renegades expansion, which received a more positive reception from players, was followed by a lengthy content drought that contributed to declining player numbers. On Steam, Destiny 2 recently fell to its lowest concurrent player counts since launch.

The reported layoffs also come during a difficult financial period for Bungie and parent company Sony. Earlier this month, Sony disclosed a $766 million impairment loss tied to Bungie’s intangible and other assets during its 2025 earnings report, indicating concerns about the studio’s long-term performance.

At the same time, Bungie appears to be placing more focus on Marathon, its extraction shooter released earlier this year. While Marathon reportedly underperformed initial sales and player expectations, Bungie is said to believe the title can grow over time after receiving positive player reception.


Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.