Aug. 17--Freshman quarterback Ricky Town will transfer out of USC, Coach Steve Sarkisian announced Sunday.
"We wish him the best of luck," Sarkisian said. "He's worked extremely hard, he's been a great member of our program and I'm sure wherever he decides to go, he'll be a good member of that program as well."
Town enrolled at USC in the spring after graduating early from Ventura St. Bonaventure High. He was one of two quarterbacks in USC's heralded 2015 recruiting class. Sam Darnold, from San Clemente High, is the other.
Asked whether Town's departure had been brewing, Sarkisian said that Sunday "was the first I heard of it" when he met with Town.
"He decided he wanted to move on and I wished him luck," Sarkisian said.
Attempts to reach Town were unsuccessful.
Town's departure leaves USC with three scholarship quarterbacks: Senior Cody Kessler, third-year sophomore Max Browne and Darnold.
Redshirt freshman Jalen Greene, who came into USC as a quarterback, switched to receiver and is performing well.
More on the story coming at latimes.com/usc.