Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Entertainment
Lisa McLoughlin

BBC Breakfast star Jon Kay marks colleague’s final day with touching tribute

BBC Breakfast presenter Jon Kay has paid tribute to a colleague as she left the morning programme to pursue a new career project.

The journalist, who fronts the flagship BBC show alongside co-host Sally Nugent from Monday to Wednesday, marked the departure of one of their producers, Lucy Parkinson Baxter, with a post on social media on Tuesday.

Posting a photo of the broadcast journalist seated between himself and Nugent on the show’s famous red sofa at MediaCity in Salford, the 55-year-old wrote: “It’s Lucy’s last day as a staff producer on Breakfast.

“She’s off to develop her podcast @fromalancashirelass,” tagging Lucy and her project, which amplifies stories rooted in Lancashire and the wider North West of England.

Kay’s farewell coincided with the return of Nugent, 54, who had recently been absent from the show.

During her time away, a rotating line-up of presenters, including Luxmy Gopal, Sarah Campbell and Ben Thompson had stepped in alongside Kay.

Kay shared this tribute on his Instagram on Tuesday (Instagram/Jon Kay)

Fans of the programme were quick to share their delight at Nugent’s return.

“It was great to see you back this morning,” one viewer wrote on X, while another added: “It is so lovely to have you back on screen!”

BBC Breakfast, which airs daily on BBC One, remains one of the UK’s most-watched morning news programmes, drawing millions of viewers each week.

However, it has hit the headlines in recent weeks amid reports Charlie Stayt is “under review” following complaints lodged by colleagues.

Earlier this month, The Sun reported that Stayt, 63, is being assessed alongside his co-host Naga Munchetty, 50, after concerns were raised about their behaviour behind the scenes.

They allege that an external HR adviser from consultancy firm PwC has been working with the BBC to examine workplace culture on the long-running programme.

See also: All the scandals currently facing the BBC

The reported review follows allegations of bullying made against both Munchetty and BBC Breakfast editor Richard Frediani earlier this year.

Frediani, who has overseen the show from its Salford studios since 2019, was said to have taken extended leave during an external consultation and has since returned to his role.

A source told the outlet: “A number of staff have come forward to share their experiences with Charlie, so the BBC has officially moved to place the complaints under review.

“Charlie and Naga will be assessed separately.”

Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty presenting BBC Breakfast earlier this month (BBC)

Staff are said to have raised concerns about “rudeness”, “bullying”, and conduct that allegedly undermined team members.

Munchetty, who joined the show in 2014, has also faced her own complaints in recent years and was reportedly spoken to by bosses over two separate incidents in a three-year period.

A BBC spokesman told The Sun: “While we do not comment on individual cases, we take all complaints about conduct at work extremely seriously and will not tolerate behaviour that is not in line with our values.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.