100s of titles, one news app for just $10 a month.
Dive Deeper:
Dog who swallowed tennis ball lucky to be alive after it caused devastating damage
Bordie collie Guss had not eaten for five days but kept trying to vomit until his frantic owners took him…
Dog has emergency surgery after eating 16 golf balls
Ben's owner said he knew something was wrong when he lost his appetite
Dogs going off their food could be a sign of illness or anxiety, expert claims
Experts at tails.com have shared the many reasons your dog could have lost their appetite, including overfeeding and separation anxiety,…
Dog with uncontrollable farts goes viral for 'signature yoga pose' to break wind
Nicki Deutsch, 48, from Arizona, US, has to put up with her Great Dane Roland ferociously farting every day and…
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Owner worried after dog stops eating - then finds 16 golf balls in his tummy
David Warren, 70, from Merseyside, was at a loss when his greedy boxer dog Ben went off his food -…
VIDEO: Last Stand: Mariupol Defenders Plead For Medical Evacuation Of Badly Wounded
This footage shows the conditions in the heavily-bombed Azovstal plant in Mariupol where Ukrainian defenders have taken a stand “without…
Get all your news in one place

Bark From The Dead: Sheepdog Who Swallowed Tennis BaIl

By Darko Manevski
Vets discovered a tennis ball stuck in the stomach of a dog in Idaho, States. (West Valley Humane Society/Zenger)

A playful border collie who swallowed a tennis ball is lucky to be alive after vets found it had burst through his intestine.

Sticken Guss had not eaten for five days but kept trying to vomit until his frantic owners took him to a veterinary medical centre in Caldwell, Idaho state, USA.

West Valley Humane Society said in a statement on 5th May: “Guss arrived at West Valley Humane Society as a medical surrender.

“This 4-year-old Border Collie was surrendered due to not eating for five days, and consistently trying to throw up, despite not having eaten anything.

“This poor pup needed help fast!”

Vets discovered a tennis ball stuck in the stomach of a dog in Idaho, States. (West Valley Humane Society/Zenger)

They ent on: “Upon arrival, we knew that we quickly needed to take action. We took X-rays and found that Guss had digested a foreign object.

“Obstructions are often life-threatening medical emergencies. Without quick action, we knew Guss wouldn’t survive much longer.”

Vets discovered that the ball had been bursting out of Guss’s intestine as he tried to pass it through his digestive system.

The statement explained: “We went straight to action to do a complex surgery.

“We found that whatever was in there had broken through the intestine twice. We had to remove part of the small intestine that had the obstruction in it.”

Vets discovered a tennis ball stuck in the stomach of a dog in Idaho, States. (West Valley Humane Society/Zenger)

The organization continued: “When we dissected the piece of intestine that had been perforated, we realized that it was a chunk of a tennis ball that was swallowed.

“This tennis ball in the small intestine was causing a blockage, not allowing any food to stay down.

“This also made Guss feel like he needed to get it out by trying to throw it up.

“Since it was stuck in there and protruding through his intestine, this became impossible for him, making him lose all interest in eating for 5 days prior to coming in.

Vets discovered a tennis ball stuck in the stomach of a dog in Idaho, States. (West Valley Humane Society/Zenger)

“We are so thankful for our medical staff, and their dedication to making all animals happier and healthier. The tennis ball is now out of Guss, and he is recovering quickly!”

The West Valley Humane Society said: “We are so excited for Guss to be able to have a bright future, because of the care our medical staff was able to quickly provide him.

“Medical care for dogs like Guss can be very expensive. With your help and support, we can save more lives, and make a big difference for dogs in need. Consider making a donation to help cover his cost of care and help future animals that rely on our help!”

What is inkl?
The world’s most important news, from 100+ trusted global sources, in one place.
Morning Edition
Your daily
news overview

Morning Edition ensures you start your day well informed.

No paywalls, no clickbait, no ads
Enjoy beautiful reading

Content is only half the story. The world's best news experience is free from distraction: ad-free, clickbait-free, and beautifully designed.

Expert Curation
The news you need to know

Stories are ranked by proprietary algorithms based on importance and curated by real news journalists to ensure that you receive the most important stories as they break.

Dive Deeper:
Dog who swallowed tennis ball lucky to be alive after it caused devastating damage
Bordie collie Guss had not eaten for five days but kept trying to vomit until his frantic owners took him…
Dog has emergency surgery after eating 16 golf balls
Ben's owner said he knew something was wrong when he lost his appetite
Dogs going off their food could be a sign of illness or anxiety, expert claims
Experts at tails.com have shared the many reasons your dog could have lost their appetite, including overfeeding and separation anxiety,…
Dog with uncontrollable farts goes viral for 'signature yoga pose' to break wind
Nicki Deutsch, 48, from Arizona, US, has to put up with her Great Dane Roland ferociously farting every day and…
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Owner worried after dog stops eating - then finds 16 golf balls in his tummy
David Warren, 70, from Merseyside, was at a loss when his greedy boxer dog Ben went off his food -…
VIDEO: Last Stand: Mariupol Defenders Plead For Medical Evacuation Of Badly Wounded
This footage shows the conditions in the heavily-bombed Azovstal plant in Mariupol where Ukrainian defenders have taken a stand “without…
Get all your news in one place