Those who embrace the footballing gods are often superstitious, finding signs in the bounce of the ball, the vagaries of VAR, the end chosen for penalties, even the colour of shirts.
What, then, to make of a week where football’s administrators zapped the sport’s long-frazzled community with another burst of mixed signals?
Football Australia revealed this week the governing body will reduce the size of its workforce by 20% following another year of financial losses, “to make sure we live within our financial means,” according to FA’s chief executive, Martin Kugeler.
The annual result, due in the coming days, will be a larger deficit than the $8.5m recorded last year. The Socceroos’ World Cup campaign is insulated from the purge, but the reduction in headcount is estimated to be about 20.
“Consecutive years of financial losses is not sustainable or acceptable, and I am making operational changes to set Football Australia up for financial resilience and long-term success,” said Kugeler, who only took on the role of chief executive in February.
Is this an SOS or a timely reset? A tough-but-justified call, or a reflection of gratuitous mismanagement?
While it may be Kugeler’s first major call after his appointment, this was an organisation that had fair warning. Twelve months ago, chair Anter Isaac said he was “not satisfied” with that year’s $8.5m loss.
The speed with which Kugeler came to his decision suggests the former Stan executive was the trigger man for a resize-in-waiting, or at least well-briefed when he delved into the finances. Those within football, too, were hardly shocked. Commentator Craig Foster described it as “disappointing but not surprising”.
Take a step back, however, and it is hard to comprehend the financial cul-de-sac FA finds itself in. The Matildas remain perhaps Australian sport’s leading brand, and the Socceroos are on the up. The 2023 World Cup was an awakening for women’s football , and the recent Asian Cup delivered record crowds. Hosting these tournaments may be break-even exercises, but their afterglow – from newfound sponsors, increased participation, and legacy infrastructure – should be an aid not a hindrance.
The Women’s World Cup was a roaring success, but less than three years later, the FA is now staring at financial oblivion. Kugeler accepted his organisation had not made the most of the opportunities. What he didn’t say is that it might be decades before the chance to host one of these major tournament comes again. Looking ahead, he offered optimism.
“While our grassroots participation, football competitions and sporting achievements are very strong, we must reshape Football Australia for sustainability, innovation and excellence. We are also creating a significant number of new roles to invest in key strategic growth areas where additional expertise and capacity are required.”
Finding the good in bad is something football fans are used to. It is a skill demanded this week more than ever across the national body and the Australian Professional Leagues (APL). The Central Coast Mariners are still without an owner. The licensing application from Western United was rejected on Tuesday, leaving Tarneit’s pride only a hairline path to return to the A-Leagues. An announcement is imminent on the A-Leagues’ broadcast deal for next season, perhaps as soon as this week, but clubs are not expecting any increase to their $530,000 annual payment from APL head office.
Those signs of struggle add tension to the bargaining between players and the APL over the next pay deal. Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) are yet to speak publicly about the process, which has been under way for weeks, suggesting the parties are still within sight of agreement. But the goals of women’s full-time professionalism and overall wage growth – even to match runaway inflation – seem unlikely.
At least two football stakeholders came together this week in the spirit of collaboration – or cleaning house, depending on your perspective. After longstanding disagreement, Kugeler and the APL reached a $1m settlement over unpaid debts to the FA. The APL’s chair, Stephen Conroy, said the agreement “is an important milestone for the growth of our game” and provides “greater collective focus”.
This is more than just rhetoric. The settlement paves the way for improved relations between the organisations. One aspect of the agreement is allowing people registered in FA’s email database to add their A-League club preferences, enabling the APL to invite them to matches, offer promotions and share news. It is seen by the APL as a key way to connect the A-Leagues with fans of the national teams and the sport’s large participation base.
Through the storm clouds, suddenly a glimmer of light. The APL’s chief executive, Steve Rosich, is confident Canberra United’s future will be resolved “within a month” thanks to “two shortlisted parties that have provided strong proposals”. And this weekend’s A-League Men grand final hosted by Auckland against Sydney FC is set to sell out.
This has been a symbolic week for football in Australia. Perhaps its most enduring image, however, came on the field. The late equaliser from Eli Adams at a packed McDonald Jones Stadium was a reminder of what only football can offer. Of anxiety then elation, celebrated in unison. Of imagination at what could be. Then again, the Jets went on to lose.